Traveling with Jet fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the jets....mine have been all over with me. Don't leave home without them. They fit just fine in an LLBean Adventure Rolling Duffle.

Sordello:
Here I am with a 25 year old set of Scubapro Jets - The only dive fins I've used since purchasing them. I've used them since 1981!!! I am going on an expedition and they require that you bring amongst other things - fins. While I have some time to plan it is a bit disconcerting how heavy and big these fins are. They use a lot of square inches in the luggage and weigh nearly 6.5 pounds.
Are there any better choices these days or should I just buy fins at the destination? Or, should I just carry the extra weight and use what I'm comforatable with?

Oceanic Caribe, they are fairly long and thin, weigh about a pound apiece. They are at least as fast as jets and are more maneuverable. Thirty dollars from Leisurepro. These are full foot (closed heel). Make sure you know what type of sock or boot is to be used. I recommend the IST sock, 3 mm, EBay, etc about 10 bucks.

Diver Lori:
Take the jets....mine have been all over with me. Don't leave home without them. They fit just fine in an LLBean Adventure Rolling Duffle.

Excellent choice of bags. Just purchased one myself after using the plain duffle and deciding that I would rather role it through the airport to the taxi stand than carry it over my shoulders. My XL jet fins fit just fine along with my back plate. Plenty of room form more too.

Jason

Here a question for you. Are they actually that much heaver?
I just weighed my Mares Planas(1lb 13 oz) and a pair of old Rocket fins (not exactly jets but close) (2lb 6oz) with an accurate scale. The difference was 9 oz on each fin or 1lb 2oz total.
Somehow an exta pound or two does not strike me as a big deal if those are the fins you really like.

Back
Top Bottom