Traveling with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my gear so I could use it. I'm sure as hell not gonna leave it home when I actually get to dive somewhere warm and clear.

I take my gear. I know when it was serviced and I am comfortable with it. I check all except my mask (prescription lenses) and my computer, c-cards and dive log.

I always take my own gear. You will be more comfortable in your own gear and you know the service history. I always carry on my reg, mask, dive computer, speedo (oh gosh don't say that:D) and a change of clothes.

I have had three friends get pneumonia after diving with rental gear in Mexico, also take o rings with you.

...being that I'm picky about my gear, I bring ALL my gear (expect for weights/tanks) as rental gear is low-buck, rode-hard-and-put-away-wet equipment. That being said, the fact that you are even asking this question in the first place says to me you're fairly indifferent to your gear, which is fine, if you really can't tell the difference between average rental gear versus your own nice toyz, bringing your own gear may not be justified, just go rental and be happy!

I always take my own gear. My BP&W, computers and mask all fit in a carry on bag. Suits and fins in a suitcase. Weight usually isnt a problem because the rest is just a couple pair of cut offs or shorts and a couple Tshirts.

Your carry on must weigh a ton :).

I don't get take stuff as carry on, I have always just packed mine in the hold. Maybe you guys in the US don't have carry on weight limits and generally we only get 20kg of hold allowance.

Reactions: Doc
Your carry on must weigh a ton :).

I don't get take stuff as carry on, I have always just packed mine in the hold. Maybe you guys in the US don't have carry on weight limits and generally we only get 20kg of hold allowance.
Some US carriers have weight limits on carry-on baggage, but they are generous--typically ~18 kgs--and rarely enforced. Others have no weight restriction. In contrast, my carry-on was weighed by Cathay Pacific a couple of weeks ago to ensure compliance with the 10 kg limit.

As a dive guide, You got to be kidding me the major airlines are weighing carry-on luggaage too. OUCH! Next they will be weighing the passengers just to bleed some more additional fees out of us.(Corn Islands,Nicaragua) I'm trying to fiqure out my baggage weight limits & charges on taking three different air carriers next month from Texas to Cebu,Philippines. I take close to 200lbs/90 kilos of baggage with me for a six month dive/work trip and 50% is carry-on! Yikes! Paying $2000usd for a R/T ticket PLUS baggage fees......what a diver to do....bendover.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

As a dive guide, You got to be kidding me the major airlines are weighing carry-on luggaage too. OUCH! Next they will be weighing the passengers just to bleed some more additional fees out of us.(Corn Islands,Nicaragua) I'm trying to fiqure out my baggage weight limits & charges on taking three different air carriers next month from Texas to Cebu,Philippines. I take close to 200lbs/90 kilos of baggage with me for a six month dive/work trip and 50% is carry-on! Yikes! Paying $2000usd for a R/T ticket PLUS baggage fees......what a diver to do....bendover.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

As a non-dive guide, no, I am not kidding. The carry-on weight limit on Cathay Pacific is 7 kg in coach and 10 kg in business class. They don't check every carry-on, but mine have been checked on several occasions--and I don't pack in Pelican cases or anything else that might advertise the weight of the contents. The checked-bag allowance is 20 kg in coach and 30 kg in business. Singapore Air is the same, and those limits seem to be pretty standard throughout the region. If you fly Cathay Pacific to Cebu in coach you can expect to pay $10 per kilo of excess baggage, or $600 for your 90 kgs of luggage. Each way. There might be higher allowances for travelers who have legs in the States as part of their itineraries, however, so that might bump your allowance up to 30 kgs or allow you an extra bag and save you some money.

I have been personally weighed on a few propeller flights, but that was for fuel calculations, and no extra charges were incurred.

"living life with a pretty firm bottom"
Vlad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom