Traveling with gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am going to take a trip to Maui for a week and want to bring my mask, fins, snorkel, boots, gloves, and Apollo Bio Fins. Just curious if anyone has any suggestions for how to best pack the gear, and anything I should know about or be aware of when doing this?

Thanks!

There really isn't anything special about packing those things. When I travel, I have all my gear, but my wife just snorkels and brings along pretty much what you listed. We just put it in the suitcase wherever it fits best. It really depends more upon whatever else you are bringing and how to fit it all together.

And you really don't need the gloves at all, IMO.

I bring my mask, computer, regulator, and can light in my carry on, everything else just gets packed and checked.

My 'typical' packing list

Carry On

Regulator
Dive Computer
Wetnotes
Finger Reel + 2 Double End Bolt Snaps
Torch
Laptop + ancilleries
Camera & Housing (Sony Cybershot + OEM Housing)
Books + Ipod

Sunglasses
Travel/absorbant trek Towel, small soap, toothbrush, small toothpaste

Checked Baggage

BP&W
Wetsuit + booties
Mask x2
Force Fins
DSMB
Clothes (1x trousers, 2x shorts, 4 t-shirts, 2x shirts, sandals)
Wash/Shave Kit

Put them in your baggage and zip the zipper.

Good advice so far. When I travel I take my computer, regulator, prescription mask, dive log and maybe a light in my carry on. The rest goes into packing. This is when I went to Maui last. Though its not overly common there is a possiblity that the check point may have a less experienced TSA agent working and not recognize the regulator on the scanner so be prepared that they may ask to search your bag.

Typically this is not a common occurence for me but it has happend.

Oh and pack an extra pair of underwear just in case they confiscate yours thinking you may be the next underwear bomber ;-)

Put them in your baggage and zip the zipper.

And that's about it.

The more you travel, the less you'll carry on.

Dive regulators are all but bulletproof and are not big on any baggage handler's theft list.

Carry on your computer and all prescription things like corrected dive masks. Cameras should be carried, pack any camera housing wrapped in a wetsuit.

Xrays are not as bad as they are made out to be. There has been some question as to whether it can damage film in traditional cameras but other then that they dont really pose much threat to anything in the extreme minor amounts used at airports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom