Traveling with Camera Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One note: We pack a large DSLR and Video systems in backpacks and till recently never had a problem. Last trip when checking in with Qantas they made us put the backpacks on the scale and of course they are double the weight allowed, had to repack everything. The agent said they are going to start weighing all carry-ons.

When I leave Manila for Honolulu via Hawaiian Airlines they weigh my carry-on every time. It's standard practice with them.

My wife and I travel with 2 housed DSLR systems, and this is how we pack (when we are allowed 1 carry-on and 1 personal item carrryon, and 1 checked bag per person).

Personal item- a backpack that contains camera bodies, wide and macro lenses, laptop, card readers, dive computers, chargers

Carryon bag - standard black wheelie bag contains housing and 2 DS200 strobes cushioned with shorts, t-shirts, swimsuits

Checked bag - large hardsided Samsonite, contains all dive gear, as well as ports, housing tray, strobe arms, toiletries

We somtimes need a second cheked bag shared between us due to weight for longer trips.

We never use our pelican cases anymore (to heavy and might as well have "steal me" painted on the side.

I avoid airlines known for weighing carryon baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom