Air travel with rechargeable batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
DanBMW

DanBMW

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
How do you travel with your re-chargeable batteries? Do you pack them separately? Carry on or checked baggage? International flight?

Every time I fly out of Bangkok, the security closely scrutinizes my Omni 20C+ powerbank, but pays zero attention to the rest of the batteries - much higher capacity overall - stacked in my bag. Go figure.

Oh yes your right, I forgot to mentioned that as well. Yes any larger powerbanks they always want to see, kind of goes in the same category as the large canister light batteries.

My initial concern was leaving Cozumel two years ago and their airport security taking our re-chargeable batteries out of our carry-on and keeping them. This might have been an isolated steal.

My initial concern was leaving Cozumel two years ago and their airport security taking our re-chargeable batteries out of our carry-on and keeping them. This might have been an isolated steal.
I just flew out of Cancun couple months ago after a 1 month long cave diving trip with some friends.

loads and loads of loose 18650's and AA's, 2 massive canister batteries, rebreather head, and loads of 1st stages all in my carry on. No issues other then them wanting to see the 1 stages.

I would think in Cozumel it will be the same they would be very very use to tourist bring UW strobes, and camera setups through that airport as well.

I would say out of all 60+ countries I have traveled through China, Japan, and Korea are the strictest about batteries.
Amman airport in Jordan was the worst place I encountered.

Amman airport in Jordan was the worst place I encountered.

Oh I can only imagine. When I went diving in Jordan I just took a ferry from Nuweibaa over to Aqaba so never had to deal with airport security and batteries. But I went back through Israel via a land boarder crossing and that was an experience...

But I went back through Israel via a land boarder crossing and that was an experience...
The only time I've drawn the attention of Israeli security was when I had a set of these in my checked bag:

1720879020251.jpeg

Turns out that on x-ray they look exactly like loaded pistol magazines.

Back
Top Bottom