Traveling with a wetsuit? (urgent)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

segal3

Reaction score
So I have this semidry that I bought a few months ago:
semidry.jpg

I've dived with it locally, and have never really worried about creases and the like simply because I've always had a hangar to put it on, etc.

However, I'm going to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow for diving (don't tell me I don't need this wetsuit, just accept it :) ) and I'm concerned about damaging the suit by packing it into my dive gear bag, suitcase, or the like?

What can I do to minimize any problems that may occur?

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

~Matt Segal

segal3:
So I have this semidry that I bought a few months ago:
semidry.jpg

I've dived with it locally, and have never really worried about creases and the like simply because I've always had a hangar to put it on, etc.

However, I'm going to Puerto Vallarta tomorrow for diving (don't tell me I don't need this wetsuit, just accept it :) ) and I'm concerned about damaging the suit by packing it into my dive gear bag, suitcase, or the like?

What can I do to minimize any problems that may occur?

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

~Matt Segal

Don't fold it. Roll it loosely from the feet upwards and fold the arms over it in such a way as to minimize the stress on the zipper.

You'll hear varying opinions on whether the zipper should be open or closed. I would say look at the way it lays when rolled and decide for yourself if it should be open or closed to minimize stress on the zipper.

Hope that helps.

Have fun and take an SMB with you. Currents in that area can be pretty strong.

R..

It's okay - some people get cold easier than others. Especially the better divers, who move less, burn less air, therefore burn less calories...

If you want to be really nice to your wet suit, pack it on top of everything else, in a bag big enough to not cramp everything, but within limit for airlines.

Or, do like me, and pack it on the side to pad your pony bottle. You're not going to hurt it much...

Dive Safely and Have Fun!!
don :D

Hi,

Rolling it up is a good idea. If you plan on taking your own towel then roll the suit loosely around the towel. Frankly on the short duration of the flight there back you will probably not have anything to worry about. I would probably be more concerned that somthing like your regulator or low pressure inflator would put a permanent dent in a small area. Even if this happens though a small thing like this is not really going to make a big difference in the performance or your suit, even when you get back to "cold" water.

Have fun and dive safe, just don't worry too much about traveling with your suit.

Mark Vlahos

Ditto on roling it up.

Take an average size towel and role it into a log, place it at the bottom of the semi-dry and role the semi-dry from the bottom (feet) up.

get a hard dive box instead of a dive bag, then you will have less problems of it getting squished.

I use a plastic toy box from the supermarket for local and car travel as it keeps the back of my truck dry, but you may look at the Pellican type hard box or samsonite travel gear for international travelling.

It always suprises me how so many divers put their soft clothes in a hard, well protected suitcase and their valuable and delicate dive gear in a crushable airport vulnerable bag.

My 7mm Gold Core Semi Dry came shipped 3 day crammed in a box and to this day it's fine so I doubt if a relatively short flight in a suit case or gear bag will cause any real damage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom