Traveling Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishkrbibbl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Tired of that Akona shoulder bag when I travel - how do y'all travel with your regs, what do YOU use?

I have found the Atomic reg cases to be good. Well made with good materials. Lots of room. We actually have several.

I use a standard-size DGX reg bag, the thing is pretty tough, and it costs $45. It contains 2x handheld lights, 1x dive computer, 2x assembled single-tank reg sets (so 2x 1st stages, 4x 2nd stages, 2x 22" reg hoses, 2x 84" reg hoses, 2x-4x LP hoses, 2x HP hoses, 2x SPGs, and 4x boltsnaps in total). As you can see, it's just enough space for all this stuff, which keeps the components from bashing into each other. It weighs just under 13 lbs when full.

When I fly, I put the whole thing into my carry-on backpack along with things I need at the airport (1 layer of clothes, passport, water bottle, etc). All the rest of the dive gear and additional regular clothes go into a checked bag.

image_50774273.JPG

When travelling (ie, flying) with my recreational travel gear, I just wrap my regs in my wetsuit, or tuck them inside the rolled-up BCD, no additional weight and just as good, if not better, protection. Mask and torch in a fin pocket, etc.

When going away for a tech trip (usually car, so weight is not so much of an issue), I have my sidemount regs in a regulator bag, usually enough room for a deco reg and some basic spares too. Partially because my main bag is full already anyway..

When travelling (ie, flying) with my recreational travel gear, I just wrap my regs in my wetsuit, or tuck them inside the rolled-up BCD, no additional weight and just as good, if not better, protection. Mask and torch in a fin pocket, etc.

When going away for a tech trip (usually car, so weight is not so much of an issue), I have my sidemount regs in a regulator bag, usually enough room for a deco reg and some basic spares too. Partially because my main bag is full already anyway..

Doing almost the same, except while diving tech (BM btw) I use a heavy duty rolling case. I've noticed tech gear has a mean way of shortening bags' life expectancy.

I use DSLR camera bag from Aliexpress, comes with adjustable velcro padding inside and super sturdy. It was less then $10 shipped.

Wait til you travel through the USA and the TSA goes through everything. You'll find your reg wrapped around your wetsuit.

Wait til you travel through the USA and the TSA goes through everything. You'll find your reg wrapped around your wetsuit.
Every damn time... the last time they didn't put the straps back on my duffle.

Tired of that Akona shoulder bag when I travel - how do y'all travel with your regs, what do YOU use?
If you need to save space, one option is to remove all of your hoses, coil them, place your regs and hoses in a clean zip-lock bags. Then place that zip-lock bag inside some other padded container. There are some downsides, so I only recommend it with caution:
  • You don't want dust or debris getting in your regulators or hoses.
  • Ideally, you're already comfortable and competent with removing/replacing hoses, and regulators.
  • When you re-assemble your regs+hoses, everything is properly tightened. First hand-tight, and then with a tool, just a little bit tighter. If you only go hand-tight, you might end up with a repeat of the story below.
  • There's a small "spool" which goes between your high-pressure hose and SPG, make sure you don't lose that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom