Traveling in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other, perhaps more insteresting aspect, relates to percieved threat or risk. 2000 people died in NY on 9/11, but I think <300 have been killed in both Bali bombings. Maybe a few hundred people have died from the bird flu? I go to NYC tomorrow morning, will be on the subway, but I am more worried about going to Bali in April.

I also accept that my neighbors likely own guns and might shoot me---this doesn't bother me at all, despite strong evidence that it is hazardous to my health. (yeah, drunk driving would be more PC, but that is boring):D

I would suggest it is all about what you are familiar with, accept as a reasonable risk, rather than what is a REALLY risky.

In Bali, the dive sites are quite far away from the popular Kuta area.

Tulamben, Seraya, Candi Dasa, Menjangan, Nusa Lembongan, Nusa Penida... all these dive sites are hours away from Kuta.

If you are concerned about your safety, then stay away from the big crowds of tourist. The above mentioned dive sites have dive site accomodations. Stay there and play there.

In the last 6 months, I have spent about 4 months in Indonesia. The locals have been very polite to me, and I feel no hostililty.

Blackfish:
The other, perhaps more insteresting aspect, relates to percieved threat or risk.
You hit the nail on the head, it's 'perceived' risk as opposed to actual statistical risk.

We recently had a diver from the Uk dive with us. Her doctor had advised her to have a 'flu jab before coming to Indonesia because of the risk of bird 'flu. Around 60 people have died worldwide from bird 'flu (with a handful here in Indonesia), yet in the Uk around 10,000 people die in an average year from 'normal' influenza. When I asked her she told me that her doctor had never previously recommended any 'flu jab for her despite the fact she lives in the Uk and is exposed to influenza every year.

David & Bali-Freak:

My wife and I are headed over to Bali & N. Sulawesi (Manado) in April & May of 2006. Do either of you guys have recommendations for some resort-type accomodations? This is a second honeymoon for us, so we're going to spend more than we usually would----a pool, spa/massages, good diving, nice beach, and proximity to other activities are what we are looking for. The Mimpi in Menjangan is the first place I've come up with.

We are also likely to go to Ubud (I've been & don't need to see it again, but she'd like to see it). Any thoughts on a place overlooking some rice paddies near Ubud?

Thanks!!

I have been to Mimpi Menjangan and it is very romantic and very luxurious. I love those natural hot water springs. It is a great choice.

But it is also very secluded. The Pemuteran area has slightly more activity and also near to Menjangan. There are 4 or 5 resorts along that beach with no beach vendors. If you enjoy horses and diving then that is the place to be.

For Ubud, try Komaneka Resort. In town but yet slightly off to the side with views of the rice padi. So you can just walk out and go shopping without having to catch a ride. Saves you some time.

http://www.komaneka.com/

For Manado the luxurious resorts are: Siladen, Gangga, Santika (no beach) and Lembeh Resort (no beach). I know there are other new ones sprouting out, but I do not like long journeys to the dive sites.

Thanks for the quick comments on the Mimpi---that sounds pretty good David. Do you remember any of the names of the resorts in the Pemuteran area?

I don't like long boat rides for diving either, but the folks at the Lumba Lumba Resort near Manado have been really nice and I don't want to be stuck on an island---I'd like to be able to mix in some tours & hikes with the diving, so we decided not to stay on an Island.

Blackfish:
David & Bali-Freak:
Do either of you guys have recommendations for some resort-type accomodations? This is a second honeymoon for us <snip>Any thoughts on a place overlooking some rice paddies near Ubud?

Thanks!!

Ubud (or even better just outside Ubud) is a great place for a honeymoon. How do I know? 'cos I had my honeymoon there, in 'Kayu Manis'. We also checked out 'Natura Resort', 'Komeneka', and 'Villa Semana'. They are all gorgeous, all with great paddy view and/or jungle view, and all very expensive (a few 100 US$/night). Four Seasons resort in Sayan (Ubud) is great too, and also scarily expensive. All these places are away from the centre of Ubud so really quiet & peaceful.

I can't imagine a nicer place for honeymoon. Enjoy!

PS; 'Komeneka' has two resorts, one in the centre of Ubud (not much view but very convenient) and one outside Ubud.

PPS; send me PM if you need more info

Back
Top Bottom