Traveler's Checks or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After having a $100 cash advance that I took on my credit card from the ATM at the bank on the square in 1999 run through 10 times, causing my card to freeze my account due to suspicious activity, I'll never use an ATM in CZM ever again. Just saying.....

I bring cash and lock it in the safe at the hotel.

We haven't used traveler's checks in many years as fewer and fewer merchants accept them. In any country other than Mexico, we use credit cards for most everything. In Mexico, I use cash because you often get a discount vs. paying with a credit card.

We haven't used traveler's checks in many years as fewer and fewer merchants accept them. In any country other than Mexico, we use credit cards for most everything. In Mexico, I use cash because you often get a discount vs. paying with a credit card.
I just double-checked the websites for the two dive ops I used in June and neither say anything about cash being treated differently than credit cards. What dive ops give you a cash discount (which is likely in violation of their credit card agreement) and how much of a discount?

I don't know about credit card agreements between shops and the card companies, but I did hear that there's a huge fee/tax that the local shops pay on all credit card transactions. If that's true, I wouldn't blame them one bit for prefering cash.

Guess it's all in the wording. In the past, I have used various DO's that said if you paid with a credit card, the additional fees were passed onto the diver. So it wasn't 'technically' listed as a cash discount. Don't know what my current DO does as I used to pay her traveler checks, but these days just pay her in cash.

With Bank of America, if you use the Sandander ATM at the airport or the one on 5 there are no fees. Fees if you use the card to pay for something. We always get pesos and pay cash. No Fees.

Guess it's all in the wording. In the past, I have used various DO's that said if you paid with a credit card, the additional fees were passed onto the diver. So it wasn't 'technically' listed as a cash discount. Don't know what my current DO does as I used to pay her traveler checks, but these days just pay her in cash.
Actually, according to VISA at least, I was wrong about this. The cash discount is OK, but charging additional fees may not be OK (the information below is rather ambiguous as to whether the fees that are prohibited are only "surprise" fees as other areas on the VISA website imply that all such fees are prohibited):

From Checkout Fees | Personal | Visa USA
[h=2]What is a Checkout Fee?[/h]A checkout fee, or payment card surcharge, is an unfair surprise fee that a retailer tacks onto a consumer's bill when he or she uses a credit or debit card. Visa rules do not allow retailers to charge cardholders a checkout fee for using their cards, mirroring laws in 10 U.S. states. Read on to learn more.

How to Spot Checkout Fees

• Look for signs or postings in the checkout line warning of the fee.
  • Carefully review receipts where checkout fees often appear next to product descriptions.
What to Do if You Are Charged Checkout Fees
  • Click here to report retailers that are charging checkout fees.
  • Checkout fees are also prohibited by law in 10 U.S. states. Consumers who are subjected to checkout fees in states where they are protected by law may report the retailer to their state attorney general's office.

Retailers Can Offer a Discount for Cash and Check Purchases
Retailers can encourage their customers to use other forms of payment, such as cash and checks, and can discount for PIN debit and cash and checks provided that the offer is made to all respective buyers.

The dive op I talked to about this only said they have to eat the big fee when paying with a card, so they prefer cash. I can't blame them there. If a shop gives a discount for paying cash, you'd think the card companies would see that the same as charging an extra fee for using plastic, which of course it is. If the card, and or the Mexican government is going to charge a business a large extra fee for their customer's plastic transactions, I have no problem with them passing it on to the customer, bank rules or not.

If it saves the customer or the business money by using cash, why not bring cash? Just like all the complaining about airline fees for bags being over weight. Why not just pack lighter to save the money and not give them the satisfaction?

That's VISA USA. That seems to be a general consumer notice to USA consumers. I wouldn't assume those terms are applicable to international locations where banking laws and contract laws may be different. After all, most credit card issuers themselves tack on surcharges for international transactions.

Here is something from an Amex merchant page.

The Reserve Bank of Australia has introduced changes to the credit card industry in Australia. One of these changes means that from 1 January 2003, merchants in Australia can choose to surcharge cardholders for credit card payments. We have updated Clause 3 of our Terms and Conditions to comply with the Reserve Bank’s requirements.

American Express strongly recommends that you take a few minutes to make sure you are familiar with this changed environment for credit card transactions – and you understand your rights and responsibilities to your customers. These include a requirement to notify customers of any credit card fee before they make a purchase.

We believe most merchants will not surcharge at all, but the decision to surcharge is yours and yours alone. If a merchant chooses to surcharge, please note that American Express expects that merchants will not surcharge our Cardmembers by more than the fees incurred for American Express®Card transactions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom