travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JillGadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I thought I would post in the women section thinking we may have a different point of view when it comes to carrying luggage during travel. I am now becoming a "single" diver (not to be confused with solo) and have to buy luggage for my gear. Should I buy something that can be carried on the plane (eliminating luggage lost) Or go with the larger and check in with the my other suitcase. It was easier when I had my husband to carry the luggage through the airport.:shakehead
Thanks
Jill

Two smaller bags to check is what I would recommend. It's too easy to go over the weight limit with a larger bag. Get bags that have rollers and handles that are long enough so you don't have to stoop to pull them. Your carry-on can be strapped to the handle for the non-plane part of the trip when you have to handle all your bags at once.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Two smaller bags to check is what I would recommend. It's too easy to go over the weight limit with a larger bag. Get bags that have rollers and handles that are long enough so you don't have to stoop to pull them. Your carry-on can be strapped to the handle for the non-plane part of the trip when you have to handle all your bags at once.

Ber Rabbit, would you check all your gear then. I was afraid of losing aswell.

I check everything but the regulator and computer. There just isn't room in the overhead bins for all that gear. They limit the size of your carry-on a lot of times, there's just no way I could get all my gear in a bag that size.

For checked luggage, I have a large roller bag for most of my dive gear and a second, smaller bag for clothes and other travel necessities.

My carryon consists of a Lowepro camera backpack for all my photo gear, etc. For my "personal item", I use a rolling laptop bag that I've converted to contain my regulator/computer, mask, dive log and other items I want to keep with me.

I use one larger bag and one carry on. In my carry on, my reg, computer, a mask (prescription), a bathing suit, my log book, one pair of shorts & shirt. The larger bag has wheels a handle..Used lands end in the past.. just bought the high sierra bag recommended here for a Belize trip in a couple weeks. It just arrived. It has wheels, an extended handle, and backpack straps.. I'm excited about using it. Tough to carry on all you need hassle free, given restrictions on liquids, knives, size, weight, number of carry on's.

If you were to try to carry on everything.. I'd look at one of the combo packs that has a zip on backpack.. so you could separate them to get on the plane.. then zip them together if needed. Eagle Creek has a lot of them..

Also, an excellent site for ideas on travelling lite.. www.onebag.com

IrishAngel:
I use one larger bag and one carry on. In my carry on, my reg, computer, a mask (prescription), a bathing suit, my log book, one pair of shorts & shirt. The larger bag has wheels a handle..Used lands end in the past.. just bought the high sierra bag recommended here for a Belize trip in a couple weeks. It just arrived. It has wheels, an extended handle, and backpack straps.. I'm excited about using it. Tough to carry on all you need hassle free, given restrictions on liquids, knives, size, weight, number of carry on's.

If you were to try to carry on everything.. I'd look at one of the combo packs that has a zip on backpack.. so you could separate them to get on the plane.. then zip them together if needed. Eagle Creek has a lot of them..

Also, an excellent site for ideas on travelling lite.. www.onebag.com

Gee I never thought about the divebook being lost in luggage..need to keep that with Reg and carry on. Also good point about dive knife and such... I cant see me being slammed up a wall when they found a carry-on dive knife with my gear... You probably just saved me from a internal strip search.:no I'll look at onebag.com too. JC Penny is now having a 50% off luggage sale too, looks like they have some wheeled luggage that have hard sides for protection, will have to compare.
Thanks again,
Jill

Lots of times you may not really need a knife. A line cutter or pair of shears will work as well and inspire less drama from the security-focused.

There are a number of threads that deal with luggage for divers traveling by themselves, you may find it useful to try a few searches in the archives. One particular point I recall being made was that one big bag and a carryon was relatively easy to take into the bathrooms in the airport. If traveling alone, two checked bags and a carryon bag were significantly more difficult to move around in bathrooms by yourself - e.g. if traveling to your destination alone, so no one to watch your bags while you (pick one - rented a car, used the bathroom, sought directions, caught a cab, etc.) You only have two hands, and need three. You can use a cart, but you may be leaving it outside bathrooms and other sorts of locations.

A bit more planning may be required.

Good luck in your queries and with the changes in your life....

Doc

I have one suitcase with rollers for most of my gear. I have another suitcase for my clothes which I may or may not check that hooks onto the larger bag. My reg, computer, and logbook always in a carry on which also is on rollers. I use the strap from my larger suitcase to connect to my wheeled carry on so when I'm walking I have a little train but it works quite well and I still have one hand free.

Just as an aside on one occassion I had most my gear in the carry on. The TSA though my stuff was so cool :shakehead that he had to take everything out to look at it and just kept saying how cool diving gear is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom