travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I check everything :) I like big bags but I am a careful packer so know pretty much the weight of each.

I like the bigger bags when I know I am going to shop for things like household items, books etc because they are easier to pack for those odd shaped or sized items. If that is my goal, I will take two big bags. If I am just going on holiday with no intent to buy stuff, then I usually take one big bag with a smaller bag inside it.

I prefer to only haul one bag around if possible, though the new ones I have allow me to easily hook on the second bag - I bought two very good sized roller duffles to be second bags.

Even when my one big bag is really heavy I still prefer that than trying to deal with two seperate bags plus a carryon. It's just easier for me. And I never have that far to go: car to check in, check in to car, car to hotel reception etc.

My carryon is getting lighter and lighter the more I travel.

alcina:
I check everything :) I like big bags but I am a careful packer so know pretty much the weight of each.

I like the bigger bags when I know I am going to shop for things like household items, books etc because they are easier to pack for those odd shaped or sized items. If that is my goal, I will take two big bags. If I am just going on holiday with no intent to buy stuff, then I usually take one big bag with a smaller bag inside it.

I prefer to only haul one bag around if possible, though the new ones I have allow me to easily hook on the second bag - I bought two very good sized roller duffles to be second bags.

Even when my one big bag is really heavy I still prefer that than trying to deal with two seperate bags plus a carryon. It's just easier for me. And I never have that far to go: car to check in, check in to car, car to hotel reception etc.

My carryon is getting lighter and lighter the more I travel.

I just returned from JCPenny - great sale. Found a nice set that all my gear should fit it and all had not only wheels but swivel wheels with should be nice in tight areas. I think after reading these posts I will return tomorrow and buy it. Heck, only $120. for 4 pieces.

Thanks everyone!
Im off to the Keys at the end of the month!

I use two bags with wheels for my stuff one for my dive gear one for my clothes, and a carry on... None of my luggage screams expensive dive gear inside. I use plain old Samsonnite...

I put my regs, my computer, my log book, and my camera in the carry on along with whatever other necessary items that I need...and a good book for those delays

Get something sturdy that rolls. Even for your checked baggage. Rolling bags make getting around much easier.

I take a rolling dive bag and a smaller rolling bag for clothes (usually 20") which get checked. I take a small rolling carry-on for a change of clothes, swimsuit, meds, dive mask (mine is Rx), my dive computer and camera. I also take my backpack on the plane so I can have something to eat, something to read, music, and stuff I would normally put in my purse

Be sure to use two luggage tags on the outside (in case one comes off), put your name and destination on the inside as well. I also make a packing list and put it in a plastic sandwich bag and pin it to the inside of my luggage. I carry a duplicate in my carry-on.

My packing is somewhat determined by the guideline of "What can I rent?" I'm a large, plus sized woman. Without my wetsuit.... I'm not going to be able to dive. So, on the way to a dive trip, my wetsuit goes in the carryon. My camera is also in the carryon.

My general system is a large rolling bag that holds most of my gear. With the gear dry, it generally weighs just about 50 pounds. It has an expandable zipper.

I have a smaller rolling bag for clothes... (It will fit in the over head bins if there is a reason to carry it on.) It also has an expandable zipper.

For return trips with lots of souvenirs and stuff... I divide the heavy stuff up among the two rolling bags so that I can keep each under the weight limit. If I think there is a risk of excessive stuff for the return trip, I tuck a foldable, packable tote bag into a pocket... in a pinch -- un zip it and it becomes another piece of luggage.

For carryon, I have a back pack designed for a lap top computer -- that holds my lap top, my camera and housing, usually one or two small work projects and some reading material. Also, any other electronics -- mp3 player, palm pilot, cell phone charger, voltage adapter, etc.

Then I have a small tote bag that doubles as a beach bag once I get to where I'm going. For the trip "there" my wet suit is folded up and tucked in there, along with a bathing suit, a pair of shorts and a tee shirt. If all of my luggage is lost... I can still function with rented or borrowed gear. (I often have a cumberbun extender just in case.) A small purse is tucked in this bag as well as any inflight snacks and travel docs.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom