Suggestion Travel with non diving spouses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

Big Dan K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What about adding a forum for travel with non divers? I meet a lot of other divers who are in my predicament. Our ability to do reef diving trips requires keeping the non diving spouse happy. We must find destinations and hotels our spouse likes, dive in the morning, and be back in time for lunch and afternoons/evenings with the spouse. I learn a lot sharing tips and reviews of various destinations with other divers who share my handicap

Do your wives not allow you to travel without them?
It’s a matter of limited vacation time. The problem is that I got married 25 years ago because I enjoy her company, and still do today, so my dive time window is early morning before lunch, and my dive location is close enough to a luxury beach resort so I can stay in the window. There’s also the matter of children who travel with us. Unfortunately, I also enjoy being around them as well.

Do your wives not allow you to travel without them?

Mine certainly does. I'm gone one weekend a month. The issue is vacation time. I'm not comfortable using my valuable (and limited) vacation time to travel without her. So I use my vacation time for us to travel together and do things we both enjoy, and I travel one weekend a month to dive.

It’s a matter of limited vacation time. The problem is that I got married 25 years ago because I enjoy her company, and still do today, so my dive time window is early morning before lunch, and my dive location is close enough to a luxury beach resort so I can stay in the window. There’s also the matter of children who travel with us. Unfortunately, I also enjoy being around them as well.

So that’s why you’re literally virtually diving.

Who was the dive op?
Many dive ops will do morning dives and return by 1:30 in Coz. There are a few that get out even earlier so you can get back around 12:30 or earlier if you are staying farther South, so you are off the boat first.
Hawaii it's easy to do 2 boat dives and be back by 10:30. I did 17 dives on my last Family vacation and had plenty of time for the family.

Who was the dive op?
We stayed at the Blue Angel, and we dived with Aldora.

If we had dived with the Blue Angel dive operation, we would have left later in the morning and been back much, much sooner.

We stayed at the Blue Angel, and we dived with Aldora.

If we had divd with the Blue Angel dive operation, we would have left later in the morning and been back much, much sooner.
Why does Aldora leave earlier, and return later than BA?

Why does Aldora leave earlier, and return later than BA?
BA uses standard AL 80 tanks. Aldora uses HP 120s for the most part. Our dives lasted an average of nearly 90 minutes each, with a suitable surface interval for dives of that length.

Bummer. We are staying further south at Secrets Aura, but I am diving Aldora week after next. The wife will not be amused.
Sometimes on family trips I mix it up a bit between some days with morning dives (and late lunches) and other days with twilight/night dives -- allows pretty much a full day somewhere like Punta Sur or Chankanaab, or wherever, and night dives are usually great in Coz. While I usually dive with Tres Pelicanos (day and night dives), we've done a guided shore night dive with Jungle Divers before also, which was great and gave us some added flexibility.

A Friendly Reminder...

1664924279199.png

We normally look for 25+ upvotes in order to justify creating a new forum. Please remember to up or downvote the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom