Suggestion Travel with non diving spouses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
B

Big Dan K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
What about adding a forum for travel with non divers? I meet a lot of other divers who are in my predicament. Our ability to do reef diving trips requires keeping the non diving spouse happy. We must find destinations and hotels our spouse likes, dive in the morning, and be back in time for lunch and afternoons/evenings with the spouse. I learn a lot sharing tips and reviews of various destinations with other divers who share my handicap

Do your wives not allow you to travel without them?

Do your wives not allow you to travel without them?
Can’t speak for anybody else, but my wife would be OK with it. But other than weekend fishing or hunting trips, I can’t imagine going somewhere fun without my wife. The beach just wouldn’t be the same without her

Can’t speak for anybody else, but my wife would be OK with it. But other than weekend fishing or hunting trips, I can’t imagine going somewhere fun without my wife. The beach just wouldn’t be the same without her
I go on dives trips a few times a year without mine, just about to go for another 10-day trip soon. I just don't spend time at the beach above water on dive trips, so I am used to her not being there. I would rather have more trips so I can have some with a little less diving!

I'm in the same boat LOL. It just seems like the prime dive destinations are not always exactly spouse-friendly, and vice versa. Especially those needing a liveaboard.
Exactly. My wife wants a luxury resort with room service and a spa. Add in the need for dive sites close enough to dive two tanks before lunch, and the options are limited. (If you are in the same boat, advice on destinations is always appreciated). But the diving trips work well for us. She wants to sleep in and take life easy, I need to be active. It has always caused tension on vacation. Diving while she sleeps in eliminates the issue. At least as long as I do not dive more than half of the days we are at a resort. She is even OK with an occasional night dive.

Exactly. My wife wants a luxury resort with room service and a spa. Add in the need for dive sites close enough to dive two tanks before lunch, and the options are limited. (If you are in the same boat, advice on destinations is always appreciated). But the diving trips work well for us. She wants to sleep in and take life easy, I need to be active. It has always caused tension on vacation. Diving while she sleeps in eliminates the issue. At least as long as I do not dive more than half of the days we are at a resort. She is even OK with an occasional night dive.
Sounds a lot like my wife and me. I think Bonaire was mentioned, but I haven't been there in ten years so can't recall how luxurious it was/could be. I know it had good food, but the restaurants seemed casual. Curacao could fit the bill as well.

ETA: How about Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia? Decent diving, close to shore, lots of natural beauty/waterfalls and an upscale resort.

I married my wife long before I was a diver. When it comes to vacations/travel, she comes first. We have PLENTY that we enjoy doing together and that is a priority when we travel. Most of my diving is local. A good 80-90% of my vacation time goes towards travel with her. Almost all of my diving is local on weekends or holidays. She is happy to support my diving because I keep it in balance and still make time with her a priority. I dive on average one weekend a month. That is how I approach it. It works for us.

Add in the need for dive sites close enough to dive two tanks before lunch, and the options are limited.
You have to adjust lunch time. On our recent trip to Cozumel, our boat from the morning dives did not return until 1:30, and that is when we had lunch. Dinner was similarly later.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom