Travel to the Caymans?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetdane,
Fly Continental to Grand Cayman, and take Island air to Brac or LIttle Cayman. The wait at GC is much less and it gets you in at a good time. Cayman air from Miami gets you in late and leaves the brac early a.m. so you loose a day of great diving.
Have fun,
Mike

Hey, WetDane,

Continental flies Cozumel from Seattle with one change of airplanes at Houston (Bush International)--flights 7856/1215. And, of course, the reverse--flights 1204/1248.
If you have not been to Cozumel, give it a try; we love the diving there. And we love to eat at the French Quarter!

Joe

Hey Thanks a bunch guys,

after this mornings dive in 52° water w/ 5 foot viz and I am seriously tempted... I may be able to get away one of these days - but it is hard with the day job...

Cheers,
Dane

Hello Dane,
My wife and I have traveled to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Little Cayman. If you have not experienced Carribbean warm, clear, crystal blue water you are in for a wonderful treat. As to choosing where to go, it depends on what you are looking for in your dive trip. For the all around value, diving and ease of getting to the island we believe Cozumel is the best. We live in Virginia and far enough away from the ocean to know what 52 degree water temp and 5 ft vis is like. We book our trips through Island Dreams(Houston, http://www.divetrip.com). We stay at Fiesta Americana Resort Cozumel and dive with Dive House. Cozumel is a very safe and beautiful island. The diving is fabulous with water temp averaging 80+ degrees. The island is supported by tourism however, it is not overly commericalized.
Grand Cayman is very commericalized. The diving is great, beautiful reefs and marinelife, however it is very expensive to partake the island itself. Food and purchases are high due the the cayamanian currency value is greater than the US dollar. We stayed at Coconut Harbor and the accommodations are clean and nice. There is shore diving at this hotel.
Little Cayman is fabulous. It is a very small, non-commericalized island between Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac.
We stayed at Little Cayman Beach Resort and dove with Conch Club Divers. We highly reccommend you purchase the meal plans because the food at LCBR are five star. They will gourmet you to death, especially the desserts. You dive three tanks a day in some of the most beautiful reefs in the world. Conch Club Divers are wonderful. The only draw back to LC is the weight restriction on the flight(Island Air) over and back. About 50 lb weight limit on luggage, you can pay a over weight fee. If you carry your own gear this can be a slight inconvenience. Other than that it was well worth the price of the trip.
So, now it is up to you. For a first Carribbean trip my suggestion is Cozumel. After that you can do as we do after each trip,dream about future trips. The internet will give you all the information you can absorb. Dive magazines are also a source of information. It is a very hard decision to choose a dive destination. They all look sooooo good. Good luck. One word of caution and we found this out first hand after our first trip to the carribbean. It will be very difficult doning a 6.5 mil wetsuit or dry suit, hood, and gloves to dive you normal Seattle diving. The 80+ degree carribbean WILL spoil you.
Burt & Flo Jackson

Hi,

I wonder how many Burt and Flo couples there are in VA? At any rate, if there are not too many, we met around the pool at the Fiesta Americana several years ago...and I just thought that I would say, "Hello".

Hope all is well with you guys and that that diving has been good to you. We have been back to Coz twice since we chatted with you guys, but it must have been at different times than you have been there. We are headed back for New Years and are looking forward to that warm, clear water again!

By the way, we have "discovered" a great restaurant in San Miguel: the French Quarter. It is only about 2 years old, is owned and operated by an expat Loisianian, and is great. Try it next time you are there: it is worth the trip into town. We have reservations for New Years!

Joe (and Barbara)

Hi, all,
Just got back from Grand Cayman tonight. Cayman Airways has been grounded till further notice. We took a Miami Air jet to Tampa, then on to Houston. CAL has had five engine problems on 3 planes in a month (they only have 3 planes). If you are setting up airfare, take somebody else for the time being! The Caymanian Compass (island newspaper) had some editorials calling for the shutting down of CAL. A rep from England was supposed to arrive today on the island to inspect the engines of their aircraft.
Other than that, the trip was fine. North wall was flat calm. Even got down to Babylon for a dive.
RonC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom