Travel to Cozumel got more difficult this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, specific dates desired is your reason, fine answer.

So your choices were $700 thru Cancun or $876 plus bag fees to Cozumel. I was just curious.
The only people I know that don't need specific dates for a Mexico trip are old and retired. That's a long way off.

The only people I know that don't need specific dates for a Mexico trip are old and retired. That's a long way off.
Oh, there are others who are flexible, but ok - you may not know them.

I was just curious. You could have given the answer, but whatever.

It looks like they are getting tougher: American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have received a new account bonus for a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® account in the past 48 months.
I tried remembering which bonus card I signed up for a few years ago. That took some searching! It was a Chase card for United miles in 2016, so I need to keep that in mind if I play again.

I tried the Barclay card a couple of months ago, hit a snag, made the phone call, then agent confirmed my high credit score and prompt payment history over the phone, but still asked me to send utility bills showing my address. I've been at this address for over a decade, the records well show that, but all of my bills are online accounts, and I don't need a printer often enough to have one. (Tried a couple, junked!) I gave up on them and bought my ticket.

It might have been the combination of a POBox (all we have in this town) and not using much credit.

I am considering this strategy...as I have a heap of unused AA miles...

To use miles effectively these days to CZM, it seems you have to book FAR in advance. I think we booked our December trip this year in April on AA Miles and we did about the same last year. If we had played the wait and see game we would have been screwed as time passed and the miles required just kept rising and rising.

I just booked bus/first class, SFO-CZM on AA miles 3 weeks before departure.
Agreed- miles is the way to go. 3 trips to Asia, upgraded to Fiji, and a few caribbean/Mex trips all thanks to overspending on the CC...

Your employer doesn't let you choose the dates for your vacation?

Your employer doesn't let you choose the dates for your vacation?
Of course they do. I still need specific dates to request in advance. I can't just say "Hey, I'm gonna take 17 days off sometime in the fall".

And unless you're single and an orphan, you have to coordinate those dates with a spouse/kids/family/etc.

To use miles effectively these days to CZM, it seems you have to book FAR in advance. I think we booked our December trip this year in April on AA Miles and we did about the same last year. If we had played the wait and see game we would have been screwed as time passed and the miles required just kept rising and rising.
Not always true...I just booked a mileage redemption flight on AA for mid-August.
Actually I decided to split the difference, booking two one ways instead. My AA flight LAX-DFW-CZM gets me on the island at a comfortable 3PM. On my return will do the bag drag via CUN-Houston Hobby-Los Angeles on SouthWest ($290 one-way).

Of course they do. I still need specific dates to request in advance. I can't just say "Hey, I'm gonna take 17 days off sometime in the fall".

And unless you're single and an orphan, you have to coordinate those dates with a spouse/kids/family/etc.

I typically check dates for reasonable airfares since that is the biggest variable cost then ask for those dates.

Back
Top Bottom