Travel to Cozumel got more difficult this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The expiration date of your Avios points is with BA's Executive Club and not tied with your Chase credit card. My recommendation would be to charge $1 on the card to refresh the Executive Club account date and then move to a no annual fee Chase card for that account. You will then have 36 months to use them, or trigger another qualifying event. Avios expiry rules | Executive Club | British Airways

Thank you Blake. That never occurred to me. I just wish it wasn't so difficult to use Avios on AA under the OneWorld alliance. Seems I can only use them on flights to places I've no interest in going. I was able to get my parents flights to Europe on AA via OneWorld with them and on BA but BA's fees are downright crazy. However, the level of service BA offers on board is pretty tough to beat - ya get what ya pay for I guess.

Concur. I also think the length of a particular credit line factors in. I didn't think about it at the time, but that was one of my oldest credit lines.

You are correct, both matter and depending on what your next oldest card was, that component might have resulted in a larger percentage of your drop than the credit utilization piece. But I've never seen any score agency tell us that level of details.

Basically the available capacity into Cozumel / Cancun sucks this summer. ... (supporting data omitted)

Not sure how much visibility you have, but since you're, "in the business", would you care to offer any predictions on when we'll see some relief? We're starting to plan for early November (well before Thanksgiving), but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

FYI, I created a "CZM Flights" thread that may be of interest to those following this one....

With regard to worrying about credit scores... Generally, if you have a score of 760 or higher (800 is a little better but not much) you are going be in the top tier that gets you the best rates on home loans, auto loans, insurance, etc. There are multi millionaires who have never missed a payment on any loan and they can't break 800 because their credit score is pulled so many times each year for every new business loan they are going to personally guarantee. Too many credit inquires lowers your score. I'd rather be a multi millionaire with a 760 credit score than the multi thousandaire I am with an 850 score. As long as you're 760 or better... stop thinking about it.

With regard to worrying about credit scores... Generally, if you have a score of 760 or higher (800 is a little better but not much) you are going be in the top tier that gets you the best rates on home loans, auto loans, insurance, etc. There are multi millionaires who have never missed a payment on any loan and they can't break 800 because their credit score is pulled so many times each year for every new business loan they are going to personally guarantee. Too many credit inquires lowers your score. I'd rather be a multi millionaire with a 760 credit score than the multi thousandaire I am with an 850 score. As long as you're 760 or better... stop thinking about it.
Personally, I am not worried about my credit score and have no need to be. But, I did think it prudent to point out to others that the whole concept of obtaining a credit card for points and then closing and opening another and then opening and closing another... and so on... might come with some risks. Particularly if your credit score is in the 750 range and then drops into the 600's for no other reason than you decided to play the credit card game. To tell people to stop thinking about it is pretty short sighted. You could be at 760 today and then close a credit card and drop to 680 or worse and be screwed when trying to obtain credit for that house or car you want. Again-- nothing to do with me-- just a public service announcement and one have I have counseled my kids about.

Personally, I am not worried about my credit score and have no need to be. But, I did think it prudent to point out to others that the whole concept of obtaining a credit card for points and then closing and opening another and then opening and closing another... and so on... might come with some risks. Particularly if your credit score is in the 750 range and then drops into the 600's for no other reason than you decided to play the credit card game. To tell people to stop thinking about it is pretty short sighted. You could be at 760 today and then close a credit card and drop to 680 or worse and be screwed when trying to obtain credit for that house or car you want. Again-- nothing to do with me-- just a public service announcement and one have I have counseled my kids about.

You're right. Your score can take a pretty big hit when repeatedly playing the credit card game. Most who play that game aren't trying to collect miles, but usually running from something --- like repaying debt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom