Travel Souvenirs/Mementos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hat pins. Cheap, light and small. I figure I might someday to push them into a picture frame backing to display, I'm still active so it may be a while.

3296.1.540.540.FFFFFF.0.jpe

Bob

T-shirts and/or fridge magnets (+ photos of course).
Last trip I got myself a t-shirt from one of the dive resorts we stayed at and bought my 4-year old son a fridge magnet of a turtle to remind him of seeing his first turtle in the wild while snorkelling off the beach.
We've now got an ever-growing collection of fridge magnets that are very practical too, for photos, trash collection dates, school term dates etc. and the obligatory kids drawings :wink:

I agree with Marie about being a minimalist, but I wasn't always.

The T-shirt I had to have even though they didn't have my size, the piece of priceless indigenous art ($12.50 Fijian asking price, haggled down to $12.00 US), and picture books full of the local sea life I didn't see... etc.

I don't even take an U/W camera anymore. Nowadays I do my best to live in the moment, soaking up as many lasting impressions of what I'm seeing and feeling, and accidentally taking home a pocket full of the local coinage in case I ever return.

Last edited:
The national park have what they call a passport and each park has a ink stamp, with place and date I wonder if some kind of book that she could keep track of all the places and date she been?

...and accidentally taking home a pocket full of the local coinage in case I ever return.

I forgot about that. I like to pay for something small in U.S. dollars, get change in foreign currency and bring that home.

On the issue of size and space in luggage, I wish more vendors had an obvious onsite ship to you option. When I did the Sun Dancer 2 out of Belize back in 2015, across from the pier was a table with beautiful wooden carvings, one a nice hammerhead shark. Granted, I don't know where I'd have stuck it, and it wouldn't match much else in the house...but if I couldn't had that sucker packed & shipped for $50 or less on the spot, I might've done it.

Richard.

As you've said, it's not appropriate for young'uns, but I collect shot glasses. They're small, cheap, and easy to display. I just hit 100 in my collection and with a couple of exceptions that others have bought for me, they all represent places I've been personally and I can remember the shop or site where I bought each of them. I even have one from Turks & Caicos that fits the "local hand-crafted items" tag as it's hand-made from wood!

I usually try for a holiday ornament, but I LOVE squashed coins. I've got them from all over here in the states and some from england, and ireland. I've not dive traveled much and in the Caymans I got a blank look when I explained what I was looking for LOL.

I usually try for a holiday ornament, but I LOVE squashed coins. I've got them from all over here in the states and some from england, and ireland. I've not dive traveled much and in the Caymans I got a blank look when I explained what I was looking for LOL.

Probably not a lot of trains on the Caymans :wink:

Back
Top Bottom