Travel Miles Credit Card Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My solution is a Chase Rapid Rewards Visa. Points pay for travel on Southwest in CONUS, Hawaii, Caribbean and SWA does not charge for checked bags. Second card is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Cheaper than Reserve; points are still transferable and there is some trip cancellation/interruption coverage.

Very impressed with those who have this down to a science.

Air Canada provides a set of free upgrade credits as you hit Aeroplan status mileage thresholds each year. But you need to pay to fly to attain the status thresholds to get the free upgrade credits. So this is about flying and gaining status as opposed to making purchases on your credit card.

Since they are status related these credits do expire at the end of the next status year if you have not used them.

Similar to redeeming a reward flight you may be limited in your ability to use the upgrade credits.
Actually, the status threshold is based on a combination of distance, segments flown and price paid. You can also earn status by simply earning points on purchases. "If you earn 100,000 Aeroplan points in a calendar year through eligible sources, you’ll receive Aeroplan 25K status." And with 25K status you will get 20 eUpgrades that allow you to bump your economy ticket all the way to business class.

Actually, the status threshold is based on a combination of distance, segments flown and price paid. You can also earn status by simply earning points on purchases. "If you earn 100,000 Aeroplan points in a calendar year through eligible sources, you’ll receive Aeroplan 25K status." And with 25K status you will get 20 eUpgrades that allow you to bump your economy ticket all the way to business class.
Thanks. I was not aware of this.

Although spending $100,000 on my personal credit card in a year seems a bit of a stretch.

Chase Sapphire Preferred or maybe Reserve if you travel a lot and are into the lounges and other perks. It was never worth it for me to upgrade but I was close to doing it pre-covid. I just use 1 card for everything and rack it up thru there. Card has trip protection and other perks like that. I've used most of the points not for travel actually but they have a lot of transfer partners. Spreading spending over multiple cards would make things too much for me to bother with I think. However, if you live in an area where you only fly one airline basically, i could see one of those cards making more sense for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom