Travel BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you travelling to? Warm or cold water?

I use a Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate for travel, and when I was diving wet, I used their 17 lb tropical wing. The wing packs down absolutely flat and small. I take the cambands off the plate and the whole thing takes up very little space. DSS wings have built-in STAs, so you don't need that piece. It's a great warm water rig.

going to an aluminum plate definitely cuts back some on the wt and with dive travel now a days every pound counts.... I second TSandM's DSS recommendation but in the Phils an AL plate might be easier to acquire

I had a SS plate with me last summer. It was quite heavy. I ended up packing it in my carry-on to cut down on baggage weight.

going to an aluminum plate definitely cuts back some on the wt and with dive travel now a days every pound counts.... I second TSandM's DSS recommendation but in the Phils an AL plate might be easier to acquire

I used to lug the SS plate, then switched to the AL but I still use an STA (plastic) just because I like where it sets the tank away from my head. Not sure whether the AL is any heavier than the Kydex but there are some X shaped tavel plates out there but I think they are SS. I have the SS tank band cams and getting rid of those would save some weight but I don't care for the plastic ones as I've seen them break on students taking classes. I use Oxycheq's 30# mach v wing. I could probably have gone to the 18# but just didn't feel comfortable going that low. A bladderless wing would be even lighter but it is harder to repair if you get a puncture.

I recommend taking some velcro tank band weight pockets (XS Scuba) so you can adjust your weighting. I put 2-2lb weights on the bands (one pocket on each) keeping it off the waist. This weighting keeps me comfortably horizontal in the water and I can take the bc off and still float at the surface with the weight belt on when getting back on the boat(it is rather awkward trying to hand it up).

On my last flight back from the Philippines I think my one check-on was right at the limit. I gotta quit buying anything for souvenirs - the weight of t-shirts add up.

Thanks! I'll be doing warm water diving only. I think I'll get the Al. backplate. Any advice on the 2 piece STA?

@Pao: Your Eclipse lacks camband slots, so you'll need an STA (but you already knew that).
I dive an Eclipse + SS BP in cold/temperate water (Southern California).
For warm water vacations, I bought the cheapest AL BP I could find (OMS) + the lightweight oxycheq one-piece STA (10 oz.) + XS Scuba weight pockets on cambands + basic hog harness.
The system works great for travel. My gf has the DSS kydex plate + DSS wing. If I were buying the BP/W from scratch, I'd go DSS. Since I already had the Halcyon rig, it was cheaper to retrofit.

Thanks everybody. I just bought that OMS Al backplate. Next I think I will be looking for a lightweight STA. I think there is an oxycheq distributor here in the Philippines.

I've got the OxyCheq Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate (Wings-BackPlates). It's less than 10 oz and no need for an STA. Works great and is EXTREMELY light.

Hi Pao,

It would be worth dropping by Divers Network in QC - they have a full range of their own BPs and accessories made locally (although all raw materials are imported) - you can get a full set up for a lot less cost but using the same materials and custom fitted.

Obviously the BP set-up is only part of the puzzle, but if you can find a great BP for a low price this either gives you more to spend on the wing, or some savings. I have a SS BP from there and can't recommend it enough.

Just a thought!

Karl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom