Travel BCs jacket style - and sadly negative experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to all who have posted here. When I resumed diving after a 26-year surface interval, I was determined to go with Scubapro, and equally determined not to spend north of $1000 on a travel BC. I went back and forth between the Go and Level, both jacket-style with cummerbund. Older versions of the Go are pretty bulky on the sides IMHO. The Level seems sleeker (for a jacket).

Ultimately chose the 2022 SP Level for its conventional backpack, with carry handle and standard SP tank cinch system. Both have integrated weights; the 2022 Level also has rear trim pockets. The Level’s side pockets have minimal room to stash things, but that’s not an issue for me. Worked well for shore diving. Gauges are well supported by a pass-through and the octo pocket is perfect to capture the hose. Plenty of air-dump options. Weighs a bit under 7 pounds. Packs small enough to fit in a carry-on. Very pleased. Good luck finding one, as they seem to sell fast.

For warm water boat diving where bulk and weight are primary considerations and comfort out of the water is secondary, I’ve thought about BP/W and back-inflate. Like the OP, I am not naturally drawn to these. I just ordered a Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe (with Ripcord) at a substantial discount. It will require some added trim pouches, crotch strap, and D-rings. Maybe swap Ripcord for Zip Touch? We’ll see.

That $1000 will get spent one way or the other! :wink:

Interesting to read all the comments. Integral weights that fell out. Just no way of knowing but as I said had been checked by 3 people. Obviously it hadn't locked in, but how can you check when it seems it can jam in and appear to be locked, including making a convincing clicking sound?
The worrying part was being unable to dump the air out adequately because the construction was too soft. And the dive manager had "seen it before", ie that new design of travel BC.
Problem now solved with return to reliable old BC which is barely more heavy/bulky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom