Travel BCD Recommendation for a Petit Woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingChipmunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a travel BCD. This will be my first BCD purchase. I have been renting BCDs and hope to find something that fits me well and is easy to travel with. I am 5'4, 105 lb, wear XXS BARE wetsuit.

From my online research, the following models received good review as women's travel BCD and are my top choices so far:
(1) Cressi Lady's Travel Light (its xs size seems too big though, waist 30-35 in ?? )
(2) Aqua Lung Zuma
(3) Zeagle Zena

If you own any of the above models, I would love to hear about your experience. If there's another model that I should consider as a good travel BCD for women, please also let me know.

Another question: I have only used jacket style rental BCD. Is it easy to switch to back inflating style? I noticed that quite some travel BCDs are back inflate style.

Thanks in advance for your help!

+1 for the Zeagle Zena. I've had it for 3 years and have traveled to FL, Cozumel, CA, and HI. It's comfortable to wear and packs well. I would also recommend the Aqualung Rogue. My kids have this!

I bought the Cressi Travel Light and sent it back. It didn't seem to sit well on my shoulders - was pulling to the back even without a tank. It was also very cheaply made.

I ended up buying the Aqualung Pearl - heavier for certain but much better quality and very comfortable.

My last girlfriend was 5'2" maybe 100lbs soaking wet after a thanksgiving dinner. She found that backplate and wing fit her the best due to her small size. standard jacket style extra small BCD's just wrapped around her way to much. She was using a size small aluminum back plate from OxyCheq and an 18lbs wing from Argonaut.

Travel wise this setup was super small and compact. I don't think you can get any smaller or compact unless you go with a soft backplate. The wing you could latterly ball up and put in a small shoe box and the backplate was significantly smaller then a standard backplate. I am guess the backplate was maybe 3lbs with the harness and the wing maybe 1lbs. She actually found that wetsuit, fins, and clothing is what took up the most space and weight for traveling.

Out of the 3 listed, I only have experience with the Zeagle Zena. I owned a Zeagle Zena for 1.5 years, and loved how well it sat on my torso compared to a rental BCD. I was an avid open water diver living in NY and did dive trips to FL, CA, Costa Rica, and Mexico with my Zeagle Zena. It traveled well and dried quickly.

Once I decided to move into technical/ cave diving, a BP/W made more sense so I sold my Zeagle Zena. I don’t regret doing so because I found a BP/W more streamline and more suited to all the diving environments I enjoyed.

Safe diving with whichever BCD you decide to purchase.

My wife is 5’4 and recently switched to a BP&W from Divegear express. It is one of the best values I have seen. A very solid package. My daughter who is 5’ uses an Aqualung Rogue and she Is just as happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom