Travel Agents steering away from Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carnival is re-directing some ships to Callica. The Fascination is one of them. I just took that cruise in November. It's a sand pit, not a tourist port. We didn't have enough time to dive, which was very disappointing. I hope you guys have better luck than we did, cause there's absolutely NOTHING to do in Callica! FYI, don't pay for excursions from the boat. If you need to get around, renting a car is really easy right there at the dock. $65 for the whole day. I heard the diving was pretty good right there off of the cancun coast. Nothing like Coz, but fair to moderate.

Bubbles Up:
Carnival is re-directing some ships to Callica. The Fascination is one of them. I just took that cruise in November. It's a sand pit, not a tourist port. We didn't have enough time to dive, which was very disappointing. I hope you guys have better luck than we did, cause there's absolutely NOTHING to do in Callica! FYI, don't pay for excursions from the boat. If you need to get around, renting a car is really easy right there at the dock. $65 for the whole day. I heard the diving was pretty good right there off of the cancun coast. Nothing like Coz, but fair to moderate.

I'm going out on a limb but I doubt divers on this board, or the world over, for that matter, will be too put out if Carnaval uses Callica permantly.:05:

kuip:
Nevis Diver:
DiverG:
But also some very good small ops may have room. Just because they may be small and have room does not make them a bad operation.

Very True !

Ron

Pilot fish, I think that Bubbles may have replied under the wrong thread. His post would fit with a new thread about diving off cruise ships.

Many divers do take cruises. (Lots of posts about cruises by divers on the "Charter Boats, Cruises & Liveaboards" forum here on Scubaboard) For those with families, a Western Caribbean itinerary with a few good dive ports (Coz, Grand Cayman, Belize) is a great compromise for a family vacation. Many divers who cruise to Coz book their diving on their own instead of just taking the overpriced trip the line offers. Not everyone's situations allow for all trips to be land-based, dive only vacation. A cruise can also be a good way to sample new places and see what you like. I've met several people who first visited Coz on a cruise and now enjoy land-based vacations there. My intro to Coz was on a cruise in the early 90's.

Calica, the port built, owned and operated by Carnival Corp for their lines, <CORRECTION - just used by Carnival, not their port> is about 6km from Playa del Carmen. I've never been to Calica but I have heard that there is a shuttle from the cruise pier to PDC. Depending on the port call times it might still be possible to ferry over to Coz and get in a couple dives. Or, if not, there are some nice dive sites in the PDC and Akumal areas, or try a cenote dive.

Am I crazy about having 7-10 ships a day in Cozumel when I'm there? Not really. But, the business owners, employees and taxi drivers we spoke with when we were there in Dec were sure missing them. The ecomony depends heavily on tourists. With so many hotel rooms out of commission since Oct, and less then half the ships making port calls, it's going to a very tough winter for people who live on the island and need to support their families.

scubawife:
...Calica, the port built, owned and operated by Carnival Corp for their lines, is about 6km from Playa del Carmen....

Calica has been around for a LONG time and is not a cruise ship port. Calica is the name of the port where the car ferry goes across for passenger vehicles and trucks coming over with food and materials for the island.

Carnival started using the area just south of it as an alternative port and may have built some stuff up around the port, but it is not "Carnival's" so to speak nor did they build it.

thanks for the correction, Christi. I've never been there, but was told it was a similar concept to what they've done in Costa Maya. Maybe it's in the plans for them to build there and someone just spoke too soon.

Christi:
Calica has been around for a LONG time and is not a cruise ship port. Calica is the name of the port where the car ferry goes across for passenger vehicles and trucks coming over with food and materials for the island.

Carnival started using the area just south of it as an alternative port and may have built some stuff up around the port, but it is not "Carnival's" so to speak nor did they build it.

Thanks for the clarification. I admit to a slight anti-cruise ship feeling. I don't like what gets done to a reef after they visit it :(

Dive, observe, enjoy, but leave it as you find it.

scubawife:
Pilot fish, I think that Bubbles may have replied under the wrong thread. His post would fit with a new thread about diving off cruise ships.

Many divers do take cruises. (Lots of posts about cruises by divers on the "Charter Boats, Cruises & Liveaboards" forum here on Scubaboard) For those with families, a Western Caribbean itinerary with a few good dive ports (Coz, Grand Cayman, Belize) is a great compromise for a family vacation. Many divers who cruise to Coz book their diving on their own instead of just taking the overpriced trip the line offers. Not everyone's situations allow for all trips to be land-based, dive only vacation. A cruise can also be a good way to sample new places and see what you like. I've met several people who first visited Coz on a cruise and now enjoy land-based vacations there. My intro to Coz was on a cruise in the early 90's.

Calica, the port built, owned and operated by Carnival Corp for their lines, <CORRECTION - just used by Carnival, not their port> is about 6km from Playa del Carmen. I've never been to Calica but I have heard that there is a shuttle from the cruise pier to PDC. Depending on the port call times it might still be possible to ferry over to Coz and get in a couple dives. Or, if not, there are some nice dive sites in the PDC and Akumal areas, or try a cenote dive.

Am I crazy about having 7-10 ships a day in Cozumel when I'm there? Not really. But, the business owners, employees and taxi drivers we spoke with when we were there in Dec were sure missing them. The ecomony depends heavily on tourists. With so many hotel rooms out of commission since Oct, and less then half the ships making port calls, it's going to a very tough winter for people who live on the island and need to support their families.

Thanks Scuba. Carnaval Cruise ships are not high on the list of environmental protectors.

pilot fish:
Thanks for the clarification. I admit to a slight anti-cruise ship feeling. I don't like what gets done to a reef after they visit it :(

Dive, observe, enjoy, but leave it as you find it.
Cruise ships are awesome! Next time you see one, visualize it as the dive site of the future :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom