Transporting tanks in vehicles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is pretty exactly what was rolling around in my mind. I first figured that if transporting a couple of tanks in your car was illegal, some divers would have found that out as a result of being pulled over for another offense and the cop saw the tanks--thus the word would spread. Then I realized tbone is probably correct in that the cops don't have a clue. Like when I cross the border into the US and have to explain why FATCA caused me to renounce citizenship. One officer had never even seen a certificate or renunciation. Another time I had to explain to Canada Customs guard that the shells in my car from Florida were not endangered thus legal to cross the border. She also took me at my word.
Maybe tell a cop that tanks in the car are legal and he/she will just believe you.
Aren't these people supposed to know this ****!!!?
Cops, like all enforcement people, only know a few things. Different ones know different things. Some of the things they "know" are not true. As a businessman I am responsible for knowing every law and regulation that may affect me. The people who inspect me are not required to have all that information. The guy who inspects our wreckers is a great guy. When I call him up to ask him how to interpret a law that affects our wrecker operations he usually refuses to give an opinion. But if there is a complaint, we are responsible for knowing what he couldn't tell us. They say the IRS opinions you get over the phone are correct about half the time. You are responsible for making the right tax payments 100% of the time.

I think I understand a bit better why students in my state have to transport their own tanks to the quarry in a neighboring state for checkout dives with the same shop and instructor, but not when meeting that same instructor and shop at the local pool for classroom instruction. It’s the law, man!

Oh boy, I'll soon be transporting 2 and a half long tons of tanks from Germany to Lake City Florida in a 20' container. 13 of them are DOT tanks, 1 is an ICC (preDOT) tank; and the rest are european tanks up to 50L at 300 bar. Hope the poor truck driver doesn't get busted.

Michael

Oh boy, I'll soon be transporting 2 and a half long tons of tanks from Germany to Lake City Florida in a 20' container. 13 of them are DOT tanks, 1 is an ICC (preDOT) tank; and the rest are european tanks up to 50L at 300 bar. Hope the poor truck driver doesn't get busted.

Michael
Empty or full?

@KWS not sure why dollar value would ever be an issue, but my info was also taken from talks with PSI who per the usual with them couldn't ever give a straight answer.

@michael-fisch if they're under some pressure *somewhere around 100psi* they don't count

I've been stopped a few times over the years by die polizei, with loads of steel 100s in the back of my pick-up, all trussed up with band clamps. We have almost Orwellian regulations in California; but the only time that even an idle comment was ever made, was by a bored CHP officer, fulfilling his quota, "Looks like you got plenty of oxygen tanks there . . ."

The only time that even an idle comment was ever made, was by a CHP officer, "Looks like you got plenty of oxygen tanks there . . ."

Did you correct him, or just say, there sure are officer, inquiring minds....

Did you correct him, or just say, there sure are officer, inquiring minds....

No, just plenty of "yes officer, no officer" -- that's about it; that, and the promise to fix a brake light . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom