Transporting regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is it true you're supposed to keep your suitcases unlocked when flying now?

If you use a lock it has to be a TSA approved lock. One they can open with a special (Read commonly available) key. Still something is better then nothing as it will slow a thief down. Plus unless they are TSA they probably don't want to get caught with a TSA key.

I believe it was Fdog on this board posted his method which was to use zip ties. They can cut these off easily enough. He also put a note inside and taped another zip tie on the note inside. They opened his bags inspected them and put the new zip tie on with a smiley face on his note paper.

Inside a regulator bag inside my carry on with my computer. I have been questioned 1 time out of about 45 TSA encounters. Rinsing your regs well with fresh water will be sufficient, I have serviced regs that were not even rinsed after 5 years of storage. They were nasty but only needed a regular service kit. Oh don't rinse them in a tank people have rinsed wetsuits in. Some tanks are nasty and a good hose rinse is all I do.

I've been traveling regularly to dive for at least 16 years. My regs are placed loosely coiled and lovingly packed into my carry-on. Clothes folded underneath, around first stage, and gently around and over hoses, spg and mouthpieces. My regs are 20 years old and majority of any damage has come from rough treatment on dive boats, not from transport.

Regs have travelled in my checked bag for 25 yrs now. No harm done. They are pretty tough. They have gotten more scuffs from dive crew handling them than from anything during travel. They are loosely packed in a small reg bag that has a bunch of other stuff jammed into it (backup light, safety sausage,...)

We use a combo of either TSA approved locks or zip ties on our bags. Both get cut off and discarded. I am getting tired of buying new TSA approved locks. Will just buy the el cheapos from now on.

I'm having success with the TSA locks. Have only lost one and that may have been my own fault. Not sure I remembered to actually spin the combo to lock it properly.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

I'd rather lose a $7-8 lock than anything else in my luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom