Transport to Losmen Danakan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaSurfSnow

Reaction score
Hi,

thought I posted a message previously but cannot find it...

I will be arriving in Taarakan in the next few days (maybe 4th Aug but possibly later, depending upon the diving I do in Sabah).

I was interested to know whether anyone is planning to head to Derawan, to stay at Losmen Danakan. I am looking to share the cost of the boat transfer from Berau or Tarakan (if possible).

From initial investigations and information found on this web-site (Thanks) it would appear that this is the cheapeast way to dive in the area (Sangalaki, Martua, Derawan etc.). Rather than staying at the lodges which are really expensive.

I plan to take the ferry from Tawau to Tarakan and probably a separate ferry on to Berau. Would be prepared to wait in the area to share costs.

I can be contacted by e-mail at TONY_KNIGHT_UK@YAHOO.COM.

I would also be interested to hear from anyone that has stayed at Danakan losmen and your experience / tips for travelling / diving in the area.

Thanks,
Tony

I would be very interested in findong out more about this place on Derawan too.

I have been in contact with the agent for Derawan Resort, and they quoted me the price for a one week stay there. Quite steep. But the worst part is, they don't have anyone else going to Derawan during my trip (Nov 18 or so), so I'm gonna end up having to pay $400 US extra for the boat ride from Berau to Derawan.

The agent suggested I go to Nabucco instead - I guess there are others going to Nabucco at the same time, therefore I can save on the boat ride. He hasn't sent me the price for Nabucco yet, but I suspect it will be more expensive than Derawan. Therefore, the final price may work out to be the same. Further, I really like the sound of shore diving on Derawan.

So, if anyone can provide info on Losmen Danakan and cheaper boat ride from Berau to Derawan and back, it will be much appreciated.

If anyone plans to stay at Derawan in and around Nov 19 for a week, may be we can hook up and book together to save the $400 boat ride.

Also, has anyone run into the same problem with the agent recommending Nabucco over Derawan? I wonder if there is any ulterior motive there?

Diver69

Have to decided to stay on Mabul for 1 week and dive Mabul and Sipadan with Uncle Changs - Prices are pretty good I think.

You can stay on Mabul for RM50 per night including 3 meals. With your own equipment,3 dives at Sipadan (c. 1hr away) costs RM300 including marine park fees. 3 dives on Mabul with own equipment is RM210.

Intend to catch the ferry to Tarakan on the 12th August now.

Drop me an e-mail if you are going to be in the area at a similar time tony_knight_uk@yahoo.com

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom