Transplate harness and drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheekymonkey

I'm a Goofy Monkey
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, so I have a transpac with a plate, and let me start by saying I am a lover of sternum straps, and I don't wish to get rid of mine. Well my issue is that the sternum strap of the transplate cross directly over my drysuit inflator. So its either leave it loose and useless, or tighten the sternum strap like yesterday when I need the support and have a bruise on my chest to show for it form the inflator. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the sternum strap higher?

If the transpak is anything like the transplate (I believe it is the same harness, the D-rings are adjustable. Just adjust them up/down on the shoulder straps and move your sternum strap out of the way.

I've never changed mine but I suspect you could move it up to one of your D-rings, Not sure how that would feel though.
Good luck with it.

One of the disadvantages of the Transplate rig compared to the Hog harness (or perhaps some others) is that it is not as adjustable. One reason I moved away from the TransPlate harness to the hog is I couldn't put the D rings right where I wanted them because all the shoulder pads and quick releases got in the way.

Take the rig apart and see if you can move it up, is all I can say, if you're going to insist on having a sternum strap. If that doesn't work, you have two options: Find one that does work, or buy a new drysuit. :p

Cheekymonkey:
Ok, so I have a transpac with a plate, and let me start by saying I am a lover of sternum straps, and I don't wish to get rid of mine. Well my issue is that the sternum strap of the transplate cross directly over my drysuit inflator. So its either leave it loose and useless, or tighten the sternum strap like yesterday when I need the support and have a bruise on my chest to show for it form the inflator. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the sternum strap higher?
Not on that specific rig.

(This is the rig to which I am referring: )
http://www.simplyscuba.com/ProductDetails.aspx?StockID=7632

Once upon a time long ago there was this guy named George who noted that solutions to one 'problem-that-didn't-need-to-exist' often spawned multiple other ''problems-that-didn't-need-to-exist'.

Given that your sternum strap obstructs your ability to manipulate your drysuit inflator valve, what is it about that strap that you find so seductive? Do you find that your shoulder straps routinely fall off your shoulders in its absence?

:confused:

Yea, thats a slightly different rig then waht I am using at the moment, I am going to try to rearrange all the stuff tonight and see if it will help. It actually does not obstruct the ability to inflate, or to unhook the inflator hose, but the DUI inflator piece is actually quite wide besides the button, and it tends to sit just above the inflator button on my chest, so it doesnt obstruct it, but it more sits on the rim of it making it quite uncomfortable... Hog harness wise, i'd be interested in trying someone elses, but not quite about to take my whole rig apart and try to figure the hog harness out on my own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom