Transparent Flying V shape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rogersea

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tongo Poiint Basdiot Moalboal Philippines
# of dives
Ok I have been diving for a while and have seen lots of stuff but today I saw something that made me stop and take notice...

It was in the shape of a Boomerang and approx 18 inches in body length(taking magnificationn factor into consideration) It had what appeared to be dark colored mouth and anus on the ends and the center although transparent was thicker where both wings of the boomerang joined. The outer edges of the animal appeared to be irredescent or lit up occasionally. Unfortunately I was just snorkeling and did not have a camera with me.

AddED Info: the width of the wings were about 1.5" and when I nudged it, it began to undulate through the water like a flat worm.

My location is Moalboal Cebu Philippines.

Cheers,
Roger

BTW I saw 8 Sea Turtles during my snorkel, and I am pretty sure there were at least 6 individuals I might have had a couple of repeats..

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely extraterrestrial.

Have you seen the movie "The Abyss"? It's probably one of those :D

In all seriousness, it sounds like it might have been some kind of comb jelly. Did it look anything like this? :

cteno_600.jpg

R..

Might have been a flash back from my younger years:D... No, it was really in the shape of a flying V and very thin. Wish I had my camera.....

Ok I have been diving for a while and have seen lots of stuff but today I saw something that made me stop and take notice...

It was in the shape of a Boomerang and approx 18 inches in body length(taking magnificationn factor into consideration) It had what appeared to be dark colored mouth and anus on the ends and the center although transparent was thicker where both wings of the boomerang joined. The outer edges of the animal appeared to be irredescent or lit up occasionally. Unfortunately I was just snorkeling and did not have a camera with me.

AddED Info: the width of the wings were about 1.5" and when I nudged it, it began to undulate through the water like a flat worm.

My location is Moalboal Cebu Philippines.

Cheers,
Roger

Draw a picture of it! :D

Perhaps a Venus girdle ( Cestum veneris) ??
Not sure if they have a world wide distribtuion, but your description sounds like this, which we see often in the Caribbean.

cgills, that is exactly what it was thanks.. I noticed on all of the pics I was able to find that none of them were in the exact shape I observed but I am sure that was the critter....

Cheers
Roger

Back
Top Bottom