Philippines Trip Report - Ticao, Malapascua, Coron, Tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just arrived in Manila today and will be in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I flew out immediately to Puerto Princesa. I arrived at 11:30 AM at Terminal 1. Do you want to guess how long it took me to get from the gate arriving at Manila to the gate departing for Puerto Princesa in Terminal 3? That would include exiting the plane, customs, terminal bus ride, check in, security, then to the gate. 4 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES.

Unbelievable! I don’t think I ever want to fly into Manila again.
I arrived in T1 at about 1pm yesterday and was in T3 by about 4pm. That was 1 hour less than the 4 hours that I had allowed for. One could always grab a taxi if ine was in a hurry.

I just arrived in Manila today and will be in the Philippines for 3 weeks. I flew out immediately to Puerto Princesa. I arrived at 11:30 AM at Terminal 1. Do you want to guess how long it took me to get from the gate arriving at Manila to the gate departing for Puerto Princesa in Terminal 3? That would include exiting the plane, customs, terminal bus ride, check in, security, then to the gate. 4 HOURS AND 50 MINUTES.

Unbelievable! I don’t think I ever want to fly into Manila again.
I laughed when I read this, but it's really not funny, just familiar. I think it's actually improved some since our first trip through there but that just makes it a bit less of a megacluster - like AFAIK the terminal bus ride did not exist until maybe a couple years ago - just imagine, :wink:

Manila is more manageable if you learn all the gotchas before booking anything, and work the knowledge into your trip planning. Sadly I think you have to experience it once to really understand! For same day transfer Centrals has it - picking airlines/flights that use the same terminal is key. If you can't do that leave tons of time, but it makes for an even longer more stressful day. There's much to be said for booking a stay on either end, both to rest and to avoid a transfer from hell. When picking a hotel, you want to stay at one from which you can most easily get to the terminal you need to go to. Just being "near" the airport may not mean squat.

Some things are counter intuitive. While flights at 1am sound unappealing when you're booking and might not work well with hotel timing, they can actually be actually a good thing since you might avoid the worst traffic. Might. And picking a more expensive airline itinerary can actually save you money if it allows you to stick to one terminal and avoid hotels.

Flying through Cebu instead of Manila is also something to look into. Fewer flights but I think it's less of a disaster, and I get the sense they're trying to build up that airport with more international flight and encourage it as an alternative hub.

.....like AFAIK the terminal bus ride did not exist until maybe a couple years ago - just imagine, :wink:
Many years ago when PAL hasn't built the T2 yet. I missed my international connection(T1), both domestic and international were by PAL, when the terminal bus was held up in the traffic. And PAL put me on one their later flight, same day, to HK. I was lucky because PAL has at least 4 or even 5 flight a day to HK.
The terminal transfer between various terminals is actually within the airport instead of using public road nowadays. But the schedule is about every 30mins.
My record in getting my check bag in T1 is 2hrs over Christmas Peak period when aboard a 747. A380? Unthinkable.

Thanks @moorish8idol for the detailed report. It's very useful for my upcoming trip.

FYI re Puerto Princesa and Manila NAIA. I just received an email from Philippines Airlines to say their flights to/from PP will be from T2 from 16 May.

Thanks @moorish8idol FYI re Puerto Princesa and Manila NAIA. I just received an email from Philippines Airlines to say their flights to/from PP will be from T2 from 16 May.

More of a PSA; the T2 international <-> T2 domestic transfer took under an hour

More of a PSA; the T2 international <-> T2 domestic transfer took under an hour
Are you talking T4(the old domestic)?
PAL has the exclusive use of T2(domestic and international) however some of their flights use T3 as well!!!

Are you talking T4(the old domestic)?
PAL has the exclusive use of T2(domestic and international) however some of their flights use T3 as well!!!

No.
I was just saying the flights from Manilla to Puerto Princessa used to depart from T3 but as of May changed to T2 and that the new transfer time is very efficient (assuming you're arriving at T2).

EDIT: another PSA. PAL asked me to sign a 'fragile waiver' and place a sticker on my suitcase solely because it was a hard suitcase. After asking why, they said it was "optional". Of course I refused to help them decrease their liability incase they busted my suitcase.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom