transpac vs transplate help in choosing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awdemeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am making the big switch to a harness system and i am torn betweena trans plate and a trans pac. I am going to go with a venture wing to dive a single al 80 I would like to get into tech diving and doing doubles with deco bottles. I also use a drysuit and use in a jacket bcd about 34 lbs of lead. People have told me to get the transpac for singles and transplate for doubles but i am trying to not buy 2 harneses only 2 wings any info would be much apreceated.

i would keep things minimalist and go with a simple harness and plate

i believe (but can be wrong) that you will probably need a single tank adapter of some sort to dive a single tank with either one

+1...
(actually the transplate is an adjustable harness for use with a plate.)

I would get a ss plate for the weight, I went with the deluxe harness with quick release for my drysuit.

Both harnesses (they're the same) have a lot of extra stuff which gets in the way and - at least for my body shape - don't bring anything in term of comfort.

The transpac itself might be more comfortable (I don't know, I haven't tried it), but you're stuck with the fancy harness as it is sewed in. The transplate gives you the option of switching to a hog harness later (or skip the fancy harness completely and save some $$$, a good option especially if you have a friend who can show you how to adjust a single webbing harness).

Both pack and plate can be used with a single tank without an adapter - although if you switch often between doubles and singles I've been told that an adapter is more convenient.

If you need 34lbs with a single, I'd recommend going with a steel plate - that will be less weight on your belt.

I am making the big switch to a harness system and i am torn betweena trans plate and a trans pac. I am going to go with a venture wing to dive a single al 80 I would like to get into tech diving and doing doubles with deco bottles. I also use a drysuit and use in a jacket bcd about 34 lbs of lead. People have told me to get the transpac for singles and transplate for doubles but i am trying to not buy 2 harneses only 2 wings any info would be much apreceated.

Hi,

Because you dive with a lot of lead and you dive dry, I would suggest going with a Transplate harness and a steel backplate. This will give you 5lbs of weight distributed evenly across your core and remove weight from the pockets.

The Venture wing is a good choice for your diving environment and tank.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions,
Kathleen

Hi,

Because you dive with a lot of lead and you dive dry, I would suggest going with a Transplate harness and a steel backplate. This will give you 5lbs of weight distributed evenly across your core and remove weight from the pockets.

Hey Kathleen
I have gotten a chance to use a transpac and i was able to use only 28lbs in it with my drysuit. my instructor who is all about dive rite said i should get both pac for singles plate for doubles. I am trying to only get one if i can but will get both if that is the best rout. I am going to try ss backplate this weekend. I keep hearing that a pac even with the stiffners does not work well with doubles compared to a ss plate. What do you think should i still go with ss plate?
thanks alex

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom