Transpac Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ekthor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been using my Transpac T3000 BCD since my certification dives and I must say that I love it. Every Dive I've done with it has been with the configuration in comes as (Cummerbund, Lumbar Support Pad) and for weights I've been using two weight pockets with 5 pounds each and a weight belt for the rest of my weights.

I just ordered four XS SCUBA quick release weight pockets and had the following question.

In order to fit all 4 of them on the waist belt I had to take off the cummerbund. Is there any real advantage to the cummerbund. I'm also planning on taking out the lumbar pad. Other than comfort, are there any real benefits to these things?

Last Question

Is there any thing wrong with having most of the weight towards the front of the body? (I also have 2 5 pound trim pockets on the top CAMBAND)

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can provide.

PS: All these questions are based of functionality and not comfort

Having you weight towards your front will cause you to float face down. That isn't too much of a problem when you want to be horizontal, but you will have to fight to keep your face out of the water when you are on the surface.
there are ways to add weight to your back; a weight on your tank band, or a steel tank.

Awesome Thank you. Yesterday I went to the pool with the wetsuit I normally use and all to work on my weight requirements for cold water and what I ended up doing was putting 2 3 pound weights on the front pockets, two 2 pounds on the back pockets and two on the trim pockets for a total of 12 pounds and that did the trick. I can now just lie immobile underwater without my legs sinking or rolling on the sides.

The cumberbund and the lumbar supports come in handy if you have to lug your BC on your back for long distances. Lamar Hires of Dive Rite invented the Transpac after having to lug his BC rig all over the joint during a cave exploration dive. So that's why the Transpac feels like a mountaineering rucksack.

If you don't have the need to lug your gears all over hills and dells, then cut off the cumberbund. That's what I did with mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom