TransPac or TransPlate or Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BSea:
I currently have a brigade & a BP/W. If I had to pick 1, it would be the BP/W. Having said that, based on your info, I might want to go with the Transplate or transpac. I know the plate weighs allot, but it isn't like you arn't going to be carrying the weight anyway, just that it will be on your back instead of on a belt or a pocket.

I do know that pound for pound, I have to carry more total weight with my brigade than I do with my BP/W. This is because the brigade is slightly boyant because of the cumberbund & the light padding that the BC is made of. I'm not sure of the exact weight difference, but there is some, and when you have to walk in, every pound makes a difference. I don't know how bouyant a transpac is, but it should be slightly less than the brigade/ranger since it doesn't use a cumberbund. BTW, you can always remove the cumberbund. It doesn't change the performance of the zeagle at all, except to make it pack a little easier.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Don Janni:
:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead :shakehead
Don't give up Don....fight the fight. Those BP/Wingers need to be contained.

On a typical BP/W set up, how does the SS plate usually weight? Also stated that previously in this thread that larger tanks in a Zeagle Escape move around a bit. Doesn't the Escape have 2 tank bands that would eliminate this. Does anyone have this experience with the Stilleto?

shellbackdiver1:
On a typical BP/W set up, how does the SS plate usually weight?
~6lbs

shellbackdiver1,

I don't have any experience with the zeagle but most jacket bc have a 3 point support, both shoulders and the waist band or cummerband. For most bp/w there is an additional and very important strap, the crouch strap. Futhermore with a bp/w there isn't much padding on the harness nor between the plate, your shoulders and the tank and this will make the setup more secure than most jackets. The last and most important point of a bp/w is that you are able to get the perfect fit on it rather than on a bc where it is an off the shelf type measurement.

Even if the bc has 2 cam bands, the tank may be secured to the bc tight but is the bc secured tightly on your body?

I've tried a bc with 2 cam bands vs a bp/w with only one cam band in the middle and guess what? Even with 1 cam band the bp/w setup is more secure.

SangP

I use the transpac with the dive rite travel wing. Nice small package. Not as small as say a travel plate with a hog harness but quite a bit more comfortable.

The reason the Zeagle "flop" a bit is that as this is a soft pac type of BC. So even if the BC cam bands are tight the Tank can roll a bit side to side.

As I said this is not really noticable with a ALU. But if you use larger steel tanks and mount a pony (I know you can sling the tank) to the side of the tank, the tank can rotate a bit.

shellbackdiver1:
On a typical BP/W set up, how does the SS plate usually weight? Also stated that previously in this thread that larger tanks in a Zeagle Escape move around a bit. Doesn't the Escape have 2 tank bands that would eliminate this. Does anyone have this experience with the Stilleto?

kidsdream:
The reason the Zeagle "flop" a bit is that as this is a soft pac type of BC. So even if the BC cam bands are tight the Tank can roll a bit side to side.

As I said this is not really noticable with a ALU. But if you use larger steel tanks and mount a pony (I know you can sling the tank) to the side of the tank, the tank can rotate a bit.

My experience is with a Stiletto and not quite like yours. I don't think the "flop" is associated with it being a softpac.

It's more a case of the BC being good and snug. Which is very easy to achieve with a Zeagle BC.

I've dived a single steel 95 and at about 80-90 feet noticed a slight side-to-side shifting.

I tightened my cummerbund and the waist belt and eliminated the shifting instantly.

SangP:
shellbackdiver1,

I don't have any experience with the zeagle but most jacket bc have a 3 point support, both shoulders and the waist band or cummerband. For most bp/w there is an additional and very important strap, the crouch strap. Futhermore with a bp/w there isn't much padding on the harness nor between the plate, your shoulders and the tank and this will make the setup more secure than most jackets. The last and most important point of a bp/w is that you are able to get the perfect fit on it rather than on a bc where it is an off the shelf type measurement.

Even if the bc has 2 cam bands, the tank may be secured to the bc tight but is the bc secured tightly on your body?

I've tried a bc with 2 cam bands vs a bp/w with only one cam band in the middle and guess what? Even with 1 cam band the bp/w setup is more secure.

SangP

SangP... I thought the crotch strap had two functions; primary reason is if completely head down it keeps the whole rig from slipping down and crashing into the back of your head and seconadly, it holds the bottom of the plate snugly against your back so it won't bounce up and down.

BTW: If you did have experience with Zeagles I imagine you would have rephrased your statement about achieving perfect fit.

Don Janni:
SangP... I thought the crotch strap had two functions; primary reason is if completely head down it keeps the whole rig from slipping down and crashing into the back of your head and seconadly, it holds the bottom of the plate snugly against your back so it won't bounce up and down.

BTW: If you did have experience with Zeagles I imagine you would have rephrased your statement about achieving perfect fit.

So that's what happens when you don't tighten the crouch strap, on your Zeagle.

And that's your idea of a perfect fit?

Guess I'll have to take the challenge and try out a mate's stiletto in the pool but I'll be wearing a hard hat in case.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom