TransPac or TransPlate or Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Recently got dinged on too much weight at the airport on my recent trip to Bohol. Upon my returned I have vowed to rectify this problem. Three areas that I think can help is the actual dive bag/luggage i'm using to travel with, fins and BC.

I have been planing to change my BC anyway cause I think it is heavy and I most importantly I feel restricted. I know for anyone to accurately help on my choices I need to give lots of info. First off I have searched Taiwan (its where I work and live at the moment) and none of the dive shops can help due to lack of inventory and language barrier.

Dive Profile:
1. 122 dives in 6 months.
2. 82 from shore the rest from the boat. Distance to walk to the water is upto 150meters and always the entrance into the water is over Lava rock and coral with 1-1.5meter waves.
3. 75 of those dives I had my camera in hand.
4. 11 of those dives were below 30m but never below 36m.
5. 1 wreck penetration....had a really big opening into a really big room.
6. 0 cave
7. 2.5mm wetsuit, no hood, 1mm gloves
8. 6kilos integrated with no camera in hand, 5 kilos with camera in hand.
9. With me at all times: sausage, reel, scissors, folding ti knive, q40 light, slate, mirror
10. No deco needed to date and have been within the recreational limits of my computer for all dives.

Future Profile:
1. If im near the water and it is warm, requiring nothing more then 3mm wetsuit, I will be there every weekend doing 4-8 dives.
2. If I return back home (Minnesota), there is a chance that I might check out some of the fresh water dive locations. Thicker wetsuit needed I know.
3. Always will have my camera in hand. May be upgrading to DSLR soon.
4. I like shore dives and will continue to do so, even it means walking great distances over uneven ground and with water entrancesexits not enjoyable.
5. 3-5 trips per year via airplane as long as im living in South East Asia. Weight is an issue.
6. Cave diving does not interest me. Wreck penetrations do only if the opening is big and the area inside is wide open. In other words no tight spaces.
7. Deep diving. May want to this if there is something really interesting to take a picture.
8. Extended bottem time and deco diving. Yes I want to persue this and take some training so I can.
9. Solo diving for sure!
10. I can say with the confidence that the majority of my dives will be within the recreational limits, with my dive buddy (GF), using single tank.

So my choices for a new BC are Dive Rite TransPac or TransPlate and Zeagle Stiletto. From information that I can find online all are quality products, can at least attach a pony bottle and are light. I only want to focus on getting wing capable of lifting 30lbs. I think this will be enough even with a pony bottle.

The unfortunate this is that I have zero chance on actually going to a LDS trying it on or talking to anybody with knowledge. I only know what is available via internet. Sizing is of a great concern cause I dont want to order it then have to send it back to the USA and exchange a size. Size: 5'-10" tall, 180lbs, 34" waist, 32" pant length. I guess average with a little beer gut. Current BCD is a medium (tusa platina evolution) and have no issues with sizing. Its got to be comfortable for that 10-15 minute walk to and from the water. It should be able able to take a fair amount of abuse and use. It should be lighter then my current setup. Consideration of single tank first priority with pony/dual tank a very distant 2nd. Must be made in the USA.

Certainly open to other suggestions as far as the BP/W set up goes. But there has to be vast amount of info via the internet with excellent phone/email customer service with internet sales. Not really interested in BC other then the Zeagle.

I have been agonizing over this for a long time and cannot make my up my mind on what to purchase. Coments, Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I will my purchase at the end of this month.

Have Zeagle Brigade. Best BC purchase I ever made. Did tons of research and got one sized to fit perfectly. Plus the warranty is awesome!

shellbackdiver1,

You are almost in the same boat as myself except I don't see myself going into photography anytime soon. I can safely say that most bp/w are going to be more heavy than a regular bc but the only thing which really interest me is the O-Pac from Oxycheq as it has the same dimensions as their medium plate and is way lighter. The best thing is you can choose most any wing to go with it.

For me, weight is important but cus I prefer a actual plate, I'm designing my own lightweight travel plate.

SangP

Btw, I'm bout your height but way lighter and the oxycheq medium plate which the o-pac is based on fits me fine.

Shellback, I dive solo (warm water/recreational) a good bit of the time and tried to put together a sleek, light rig for this purpose. I use a Golem 35# wing, DiveRite Transplate, ScubaPro Air 2, and Suunto Vytec hoseless computer. I use the aluminum plate and weights are placed in XS Scuba trim pockets added to the upper cam band. This has worked very nicely for me but was originally a ***** to get adjusted properly and get the weighting worked out. It will take a few dives to get W/BP to fit your needs but then you will love it.

I used to have a Zeagle Escape (nearly identical to the Stilleto) and while I like it a lot, larger tanks (steel) tanks would flop a bit (even more so when using a pony tank). The Zeagle weight system, main an trim are fantastic.

The Trans Pac is a little more flexible than the Zeagle but you will need to add your own weight system and is not that much more "fitted" and stable than the Zeagle - You do have many more options for wings etc.

I love my Trans Plate rigs as they provide some level of adjustability compared to a DIR harness (I switch suits and the like often) but provide a totally rigid tank mounting methed and can be configured to your own liking.

Buy buying a Trans Plate (or equivolent) and a pair of SS & ALU backplates (Hammerheads are good high value options) and 36# wing you could be ready for all diving local and travel. I actually have a 30# Dive Rite Venture wing for Warm Water and and 36# Halcyon Pioneer for my Dry Suit diving.

Don't overlook the Zeagle Tech,,,great system with well balanced platform. I use for both single (st. 130) and doubles (st 85's). I dive the doubles with a Zeagle SS backplate in due of the 2 mini plates.

dkktsunami:
Shellback, I dive solo (warm water/recreational) a good bit of the time and tried to put together a sleek, light rig for this purpose. I use a Golem 35# wing, DiveRite Transplate, ScubaPro Air 2, and Suunto Vytec hoseless computer. I use the aluminum plate and weights are placed in XS Scuba trim pockets added to the upper cam band. This has worked very nicely for me but was originally a ***** to get adjusted properly and get the weighting worked out. It will take a few dives to get W/BP to fit your needs but then you will love it.

Hope you don't mind an off subject question. You said you use XS Scuba trim pockets on the upper cam band.

I bought two of those for that purpose but how do you install them so as not to cover the velcro. I've tried sliding the buckle around but can't get it to work. Either the trim pocket covers the velcro or the strap would somehow have to go over the trim pocket. I am trying to put a trim pocket on each side of the tank.

BTW: This is a Transpac not a plate.

I've received tons of positive feedback on the Zeagle Ranger BP/W. With a lightweight anodized aluminum backplate it makes a great travel rig.

Heard lots of good things about the Zeagle Brigade. But for ultimate packability...you may want to consider a BP/W.

I currently have a brigade & a BP/W. If I had to pick 1, it would be the BP/W. Having said that, based on your info, I might want to go with the Transplate or transpac. I know the plate weighs allot, but it isn't like you arn't going to be carrying the weight anyway, just that it will be on your back instead of on a belt or a pocket.

I do know that pound for pound, I have to carry more total weight with my brigade than I do with my BP/W. This is because the brigade is slightly boyant because of the cumberbund & the light padding that the BC is made of. I'm not sure of the exact weight difference, but there is some, and when you have to walk in, every pound makes a difference. I don't know how bouyant a transpac is, but it should be slightly less than the brigade/ranger since it doesn't use a cumberbund. BTW, you can always remove the cumberbund. It doesn't change the performance of the zeagle at all, except to make it pack a little easier.

Back
Top Bottom