Question Transmitter mounting question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMurrr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving an air integrated transmitter for a while now and I have a mini-heart attack when ever anyone tries to move my gear, unasked, and automatically grabs it by the Tx.

People touching my gear without permission isn't the point of the thread...

So I was thinking of putting the transmitter on one of these so it folds down and is clearly NOT a valve handle.

Does anyone else have any experience in the matter?

For what its worth, I did try a little 6" HP hose but it kept leaking so I gave up.

I use this with a hose, but the hose is for comfort in SM
I’d say works well/ok-ish; no leaks no issues yet; but haven’t used it long enough to see how it deteriorates with time (hope not)
I know I have to throughly clean it (I dive saltwater mainly) and maintenance would be the key

For what its worth, I did try a little 6" HP hose but it kept leaking so I gave up.
On the off chance, did you not use a HP spool?

On the off chance, did you not use a HP spool?
I remember using the proper HP spool that came with the transmitter (Garmin T1)
I think I was just rough on it, going in / out of lobster holes and damaged the hose

I use this with a hose, but the hose is for comfort in SM
I’d say works well/ok-ish; no leaks no issues yet; but haven’t used it long enough to see how it deteriorates with time (hope not)
I know I have to throughly clean it (I dive saltwater mainly) and maintenance would be the key
Thank you! Makes sense - I'm traditional single tank back mount

I always soak in fresh water after diving

I remember using the proper HP spool that came with the transmitter (Garmin T1)
I think I was just rough on it, going in / out of lobster holes and damaged the hose
Also, the garmin transmitter comes with two different spools, one to be used when connected directly to the first stage, and another to be used when connected to a short high pressure hose. I'm sure you probably realized that, just bringing it up just in case you didn't.

1723668573805.png

The one on the left gets used with a direct 1st stage connection, the one on the right gets used with a hose. Both are different than a typical high pressure SPG spool.

Personally, if I was worried about someone "helping out" and grabbing my rig by the transmitter, I'd get it on the end of a flexible hose, as a pivot swivel like that might tuck it out of the way, but just adds more leverage between the transmitter and the threads. I do use a garmin transmitter on a short 6" hose on the yoke rig I travel with, and it has never leaked the slightest bit. Change your o-rings if it does.

This topic has been discussed many, many times. I have dived a PPS MH8A transmitter since 2010. Nobody has ever grabbed my transmitter to lift my tank. This includes RHIBs in the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigedos, and Malpelo. My transmitter is installed on the right side and I run 2 AI computers from it. I have an SPG on the left to my left chest D-ring. An extra hose or a swivel introduces additional O-rings and an opportunity to leak. I had my secondary regulator on an Omniswivel for several years, it eventually leaked and would have needed to be rebuilt. I switched to a fixed angle adaptor.

I had my secondary regulator on an Omniswivel for several years, it eventually leaked and would have needed to be rebuilt. I switched to a fixed angle adaptor.
My brother-in-law's was on his primary 2nd stage, and it blew apart at 80 ft. Great fun. He now does without, not willing to even trust the fixed angle adapter I use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom