transfill hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justbillin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m thinking about buying a transfill/equalizer hose and noticed that none seem to be O2 clean out of the box. I merely would like one to equalize tanks on a private boat. I’m not planning on doing any blending, but I am worried that the transfill hose may taint my O2 clean tanks that are occasionally filled by shops that do partial pressure blending. If they aren’t O2 clean, is there a way I can flush them out and make them O2 clean?

Simple crystal green is the cleaner for O2 items. That's what I use for all my O2 cleaning.

So would this work?

1) Drip simple green through the unit from one end to the other
2) Blow it out with pressurized air from a tank
3) Run water through it and blow it out a second time?

If the transfill unit has a gauge, will simple green harm it?

Thanks

Take the gauge off, clean its thread and inside the tube as much as you can with a cotton bud and SCG mix but don't fill the gauge with the cleaner.

I fill the hose with cleaner mix (its about 10:1 I think) let it soak in a sink, then swirl around a lot then flush and flush.

Then blow through with "clean Nx quality" air. I pull apart all the fittings and clean as well. All O rings, vent valves etc and clean them all then dry with clean air. You are trying to do two things, remove all sources of oil but also remove any material in the hose such as steel particles from manufacture.

I assume you might be decanting or equalising Nx mixes? The rule is 40% or below no prob, above its should technically be O2 clean. I would not have a problem with doing this up to about 60%, above that I personally would use a true O2 quality hose and fittings. stainless fittings, and O2 quality hose rather than a cheap transfill whip.

In saying that I know loads of people who use a normal air transfill whip for this purpose. I guess it just depends on how anal you want to be.

also note that the fittings are all standard 1/4" NPT, and you can disassemble the fill adapters and clean them in the ultrasonic.

If you are concerned, I'd recommend buying from Northeast Scuba Supply, John assembles all of the whips himself and can O2 Clean them for you if you ask nicely. Not sure how much it would be, but if you aren't set up for O2 cleaning at home, I can't imagine it would be much more than like $20.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom