Transfers to Puerto Galera about to become even more difficult?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill22, I was there in PG last August. They have stopped the service to Sabang Pier. You must dock at another, slightly larger pier around the right side of Sabang. I don't remember the name but it's not far. This is part of Duterte's resolution to clean up the popular island destinations, think Boracay Island. The real problem is the road that leads to Sabang!!!! It's majorly messed up and a bone jarring 30 minute ride. AVOID at all costs. This has created a new business model of smaller boats ferrying people from the pier back and around to Sabang hotels. Great news for the kids trying to make a buck. It's very easy and cheap, 300-500 pesos. Well worth it. Phone ahead and get your hotel to have a man there to get you. Same method on the way out. Can I ask which place you are booked with? I can recommend very much Punta Galera Dive Resort. It's run by Pedro and Amy, two super nice folks. Pedro is a filipino and Amy is from the USA. They have a nice little operation going. Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thanks for the intel... things do change for sure :) I've actually spent a lot of time in Sabang, I just hadn't heard about the ferry being stopped from going there direct. I've only crossed on a private boat once. If they're taking people over for 300-500 pesos then that is very good information to know and yes quite reasonable. My one experience a couple years ago wasn't like that :D ( Cleared to dive! Travel to Puerto Galera… )

All my other trips I went by ferry either direct to Sabang or a couple of times landing at Muelle Pier and then being transported by jeepney to Sabang. I agree the road to Sabang is a mess!

I've been diving with Frontier Scuba the last few years. For short stays I stay at AAA Hotel.Condo.Apartments. For a longer stay I've stayed at Jack Daniels Apartments... it's a hike up the hill but the rate is good :)

Thanks again for the update :coffee:

Just a heads up. That road is under construction as of 3 months ago. Extremely rough ride in a tricycle. The jostling could easily throw you to the ground. Maybe better when they finish the job.

Better to ride on the back of a motorbike if you are without luggage. More than 50 motorbike rides for me so far.

Thanks for the intel... things do change for sure :) I've actually spent a lot of time in Sabang, I just hadn't heard about the ferry being stopped from going there direct. I've only crossed on a private boat once. If they're taking people over for 300-500 pesos then that is very good information to know and yes quite reasonable. My one experience a couple years ago wasn't like that :D ( Cleared to dive! Travel to Puerto Galera… )

All my other trips I went by ferry either direct to Sabang or a couple of times landing at Muelle Pier and then being transported by jeepney to Sabang. I agree the road to Sabang is a mess!

I've been diving with Frontier Scuba the last few years. For short stays I stay at AAA Hotel.Condo.Apartments. For a longer stay I've stayed at Jack Daniels Apartments... it's a hike up the hill but the rate is good :)

More update!
Rick has left and the place is now being taken care of by his ex-. Harold has also moved to a place couple of doors down toward Small La Laguna.

Just a heads up. That road is under construction as of 3 months ago. Extremely rough ride in a tricycle. The jostling could easily throw you to the ground. Maybe better when they finish the job.

Better to ride on the back of a motorbike if you are without luggage. More than 50 motorbike rides for me so far.

That's actually good news that they're finally going to work on improving that road!

More update!
Rick has left and the place is now being taken care of by his ex-. Harold has also moved to a place couple of doors down toward Small La Laguna.

That I didn't know... I just got a response from Rick this morning and he didn't indicate that he wasn't there anymore. Perhaps he is just taking care of those of us who always dealt with him in the past? I didn't see him there last year and the staff appeared "unhappy" about the rate he gave me. I chalked up the lower rate to the fact that I'm a returning customer who is bringing other customers with me when I show up now. Maybe there is more going on than that... Now I'm wondering should I confirm with Rufo that Rick told us "same rate as last year"?

First... I've not been in Puerto Galera since last March so wasn't aware of any of this... Can anyone comment on what the current logistics are of getting to Sabang? I'm actually headed down to the Philippines in 3 weeks and was planning to go there. Not to late to change my mind though :wink: I just checked online and the commercial wooden-hulled boats seem to still be making the trip, jut not to Sabang. If that is the case then no problem... just a minor inconvenience.

Secondly, this petition seems to only be talking about private wooden-hulled boats?

You can still get to Puerto galera the same way at the moment, all resorts are still offering private transfers in wooden bankas. You should have no trouble getting here in 3 weeks, if you coming on a public holiday then you might get delayed in Batangas.

That I didn't know... I just got a response from Rick this morning and he didn't indicate that he wasn't there anymore. Perhaps he is just taking care of those of us who always dealt with him in the past? I didn't see him there last year and the staff appeared "unhappy" about the rate he gave me. I chalked up the lower rate to the fact that I'm a returning customer who is bringing other customers with me when I show up now. Maybe there is more going on than that... Now I'm wondering should I confirm with Rufo that Rick told us "same rate as last year"?
You will find out everything when you turn up at the shop. However, do prepare that you might be NO longer a "returning customer" until on your next visit!
Good luck.

You will find out everything when you turn up at the shop. However, do prepare that you might be NO longer a "returning customer" until on your next visit!
Good luck.

I like the people there but I go there mainly because I get a good rate. Plus I've told 2 other people who are going to dive with me this trip what their rate is going to be based on what I was told. I have no problem going down the beach to someone else if they don't want to honor that :D . I've been going to PG for almost 12 years. They aren't the only op that I know people at :wink:

I am pretty sure you will find suitable alternative.
A few reputable one had left or change of management eg. Blue Ribbon, Frontier and South Sea. Only time will tell if those newcomers can maintain the high standard set by them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom