Transfers to Puerto Galera about to become even more difficult?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am not clear on all the factors at play here, but it appears that the last easy transfers to Puerto Galera/Sabang/La Laguna are under threat.

As a petition on change dot org puts it, there was a new regulation last July to ban wooden-hulled boats (I.e. pumpboats, bangkas) from carrying passengers. At the time, boats serving the tourist industry were exempted. It appears this exemption is now in question.

The implication is that in addition to the disruption already experienced in passenger service to the PG areas with dive shops, the private transfers offered by resorts would no longer be legal either.

Anyone with more info, feel free to chime in. You may sign the petition if you think that will help.

https://www.change.org/p/narciso-a-...-wooden-hulled-private-boats-of-puerto-galera

I am not sure I understand the logic of wanting to ban wooden hulled boats.

One reason is to protect the interest of the Roll-on Roll-off ferry service and those that benefit from it whether directly or indirectly. These ships won't make much money ferrying cars and trucks. A big chunk of their revenue would supposedly come from passengers. At present, more people are being transferred by these wooden boats, and these have a negative impact on the bigger ships. There was a time that these ferries ceased their operation on these route due primarily to the slow business. There are more profittable routes nearby anyway. So the major effect would be for those who needs to bring their cars and trucks with the needed supplies to take the longer and more expensive route via Calapan pier.

I'm sure there's a lot more motive than this. I hope those who knew would chime in.

I think even if they did ban the "private" bancas, the ban wouldn't last long. There would be major protest from the Banca owners, the resorts, and the businesses in Sabang/White Beach, as well as from the Tourists. Visitation would drop dramatically, therefore all business suffers, then the ban would be lifted.

Problem is, that could take months and months and even longer to lift the ban.

I think even if they did ban the "private" bancas, the ban wouldn't last long. There would be major protest from the Banca owners, the resorts, and the businesses in Sabang/White Beach, as well as from the Tourists. Visitation would drop dramatically, therefore all business suffers, then the ban would be lifted.

Problem is, that could take months and months and even longer to lift the ban.
That would be a very logical thinking but unfortunately in Philippines that means NOTHING.
Any foreign visitor will realize that they will get absolutely NO assistance from any official channel from the time they step out of their planes.
Tourists are NOT welcomed in Philippines.

First... I've not been in Puerto Galera since last March so wasn't aware of any of this... Can anyone comment on what the current logistics are of getting to Sabang? I'm actually headed down to the Philippines in 3 weeks and was planning to go there. Not to late to change my mind though :wink: I just checked online and the commercial wooden-hulled boats seem to still be making the trip, jut not to Sabang. If that is the case then no problem... just a minor inconvenience.

Secondly, this petition seems to only be talking about private wooden-hulled boats?

Back
Top Bottom