Transfer and edit photos with tablet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I know this is not the answer your looking for, just something to think about.
i have an Ipad2, and use both PS express and Photopad for editing. Both save at full res
I also use an eye-fi sd card in my uw camera, transfers to ipad wireless ( no internet ) very easy to use.

So, I took everything out for a trial at the Vandy. Two dives, popped out memory card and used File Manager HD to transfer 64 photos to tablet in less than a minute. Bought the full version of Photo Editor and was able to do a quick edit. Pics were viewable 20 mins before we reached the dock and tablet was bright enough to pass around the table at Conch Republic for after dive beers and lunch. P1018959.jpgP1018942.jpgP1018983.jpgP1018964.jpg

Critique away, please!

Very nice.

I have a related question. I'm looking for a device that is portable & cheap to:

1-transfer diving pix from an SDHC card so I can review & delete the bad ones
2-back up the goods ones onto a USB flash card or HD.

I looked at dedicated toys but those are too expensive + have only a single use, so I thought I'd like on the tablet side. I've played with the iPad, which is great to review pix & delete them, but they won't let you save files back to a USB drive.

It seems that Beertiki's solution does most of it, except for the backing up part. Am I right?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

---------- Post Merged on August 22nd, 2012 at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous Post was on August 21st, 2012 at 03:24 PM ----------

I ran into a potential solution: AirStash. AirStash®: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more

It's an SDHC card reader that can be plugged into a USB port (to read/write whatever files)
and
it's a wireless streamer that multiple devices can connect to (to read/write whatever files).

Comments on Amazon are pretty good.

I haven't tried it but I'll create new thread to get feedback. I might just buy it to try it, and return it if it's lame.

My tablet will let me take the pics off my card, and then all I need to do is remove the card reader, attach a flash drive. Using File manager HD I then "select all" then copy to the flash drive. I have also been able to attach a portable 500 GB HD to the tablet, but I dont bring that out on the boat with me.

A few from before Isaac...

P1013557.jpgP1013613.jpgP1013355.jpgP1013328.jpg

I use an iPad and flash adaptor and mostly PhotoForge 2. It does everything in full resolution and has some nice features.

I finally got the AirStash and tested it out.

The Airstash is a 130-150$ SDHC card reader that can be plugged into a PC's USB port (to read/write whatever files to/from the card) but it's also Wifi enabled, through which it can stream the content of the SDHC card to multiple devices (PC, iPad, iPhone, tablets). Most importantly (to me at least), devices can write files back to the SDHC card, which mean I can use it to make back ups without a PC.

For people who carry their laptops on vacation, the Airstash will be mostly useless. I try to travel light and the idea of carrying a laptop to remote places does not sound safe nor fun. But since I take a lot of pictures, and losing any of them would drive me nuts, making back ups is critical. So I prefer to have multiple SD cards, rotating between them and making back up copies as I go, rather than having one big SD card and risk losing it all by accident, theft, disk failure or brain failure!

My primary goal in searching for such a gadget was to find a way to back up my diving pictures from my SD cards without a laptop or PC. The Airstash allows you to upload images from the card to your iPhone/tablet, then swap in your back up card in and write your images on it.

My second goal was to be able to review my pictures on a better screen than on my camera's tiny screen. In some cases I also want to tweak the image to find out what I got/missed, so I learn from my mistakes while on site. The Airstash allows you to either view images directly from the card (without having to upload them to your iPhone/tablet) or upload them and use any app to view/tweak them. I use iPhoto, which runs well on the iPhone, and even allows me to rate and tag pictures.

Note that Apple sells the 'iPad camera connection kit' which lets you upload images from an SD card or camera quite well, but this gadget won't work on the iPhone and it won't allow you to write to the card (so no backing up). Aneedas mentioned in a previous post, eyeFi SD cards will allow you to upload images to your tablet, but you can't back up to them either.

The Airstash works as advertised, the iOS version of the app (free) needed to upload images to an iPad/iPhone works fine but it's rough around the edges.

Another update.

Just got an EzShare wifi sd card today. It took about 10 minutes to figure out. Put the camera (epm1) in the housing and shot 5 quick pics of my daughter and dogs, and left the camera in the housing. Picked up the tablet, and opened the ezshare app. Thumbnails were viewable, a quick 3 clicks later, the 5 were downloading at full resolution to the tablet at a rate of about 5 seconds per photo. I am very happy!

I just got a Sony rx100m2 I can transfer pictures wirelessly to my smartphone and ipad without opening the housing and with no cables
Now this is good

Back
Top Bottom