Training vs. Education

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We do not use the term "training" at our company. We use "Education" We believe that animals are trained, while human beings are educated. Our thinking is that training implies thoughtless, instinctive response, while being educated in an area allows judgement and thought to be brought into the process.

I can see how BOTH would be useful in SCUBA, although I never want to be trained, but always educated.

thoughts?

Ken

Maybe it's just a word usage issue. We can have a training program aimed at maintaining proficiency. Does it work if we say we have a education program for that same purpose?

Stone -- agreed. This is one of the reasons I am glad I took DIRF -- one of the things they stress over and over is the importance of practicing certain skills on every dive (air sharing, valve shutdowns,etc.). These are thngs you want to be "trained" on when the stuff hits the fan.

OOA situations were on my mind when I wrote there is a place in diving for both. I would think we would want to be trained to immediately offer our buddy a reg-it should be unthinking and instinctive.

Ken

I am a DIR wannabe, and hence my question. I think the DIR approach is to a great degree oriented to having analyzed issues from several sides and then coming to a decision. The gear config and the practices of DIR are, in my mind, the result of education, NOT training. I guess what I am saying is that training precludes thought. Therefore, we should be EDUCATED in dive theory and skills, but TRAINED in their execution.

kwesler once bubbled...
We do not use the term "training" at our company. We use "Education" We believe that animals are trained, while human beings are educated. Our thinking is that training implies thoughtless, instinctive response, while being educated in an area allows judgement and thought to be brought into the process.

I can see how BOTH would be useful in SCUBA, although I never want to be trained, but always educated.

thoughts?

Ken

Well just for argument's sake, here:

train: To make proficient with specialized instruction and practice. See Synonyms at teach

educate: To develop the innate capacities of, especially by schooling or instruction. See Synonyms at teach.
To provide with knowledge or training in a particular area

I dunno.. it's close. I want to be *educated* in the methods and science of diving, but I also want to be *trained* in the practice and execution of those methods.

Education implies, to me, teaching. Talking. Discussing. Reading.

Training implies, to me, the physical act of practicing and learning methods and procedures.

You go to college to get educated.... then you get training when you go to a job. Seems that I want both from my classes..

I think you can "educate" animals & that they train us.

Anyway, education applies if you are talking about many aspects, like the oceanography, the history, the biology & physiology. I agree on the OOA issue: just repeat drills on some skills till they are second nature. I can do without an MFA in OW skills.

I don't quite agree with your negative connotation on training. It can be done with education too, after all the Nazi's "educated" people. Mao "educated" the chinese people.

As stated previously, both are needed and both are distinctive and cannot be interchanged. Training itself isn't just defined as training animals, after all we're trying to build instinct here, the instinct to react.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom