Training Standards - Number of Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eponym

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A DiveCon candidate has asked me a question about the Training Standards that I couldn't answer, so I'll ask it here.

On page 19 of the current Training Standards (effective 1/09), the Open Water Diver Standards item 13 reads:
If the entire Open Water course is conducted in open water (no pool is used), then the number of open water dives is to be increased to a minimum of 1 snorkel dive and 6 open water scuba dives, for a total of 7 open water dives.​
Has anyone taught OWD in open water? Do you conduct separate skills training sessions also in open water? Or are you taking brand-new students (or perhaps previously-trained resort or pool divers) and training them during these seven dives?

Bryan

I just completed my OWD course last month, and it was conducted entirely in the South China Sea. The initial "dive" started out in chest-deep water with the students on the beach side; the instructor explained, and then we all knelt on the bottom and performed the skills. The next two dives took place in progressively deeper water, with the skills performed at those depths as well. My log book shows four dives over those two days.

I do not have such knownledge of these manner.
I have already purschased a instructor manual for my idc and cannot find anything you have said.

The manual that you have is this from padi ?

greetz

After chechking things out, it seems to be that this is from the ssi organization.

greetz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom