Training in your own gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading a zillion posts here you learn a thing or two about new divers and their initial gear selection. Most of the time it ends up on eBay and they end up buying something altogether different or they quit diving. :wink:

I'll start with a big thanks to all, the idea that there will be less fiddling and less changes leading to more understanding of the changes I make and time to develop my skills is exactly what I was thinking.

So LDS owners are really that short sighted and, well, frankly, chilidsh? I plan on buying most of my equipment from him but for him to think that I would buy ALL of it from him, and only him, is in my mind silly.

Still - from what you've all said, this is in fact a dilemma: if I continue with him I have to do it without gear from him - or buy all of it from him. Neither of which is an acceptable situation.

So, at this point the only possible solution is to do what I planned originally, potentially piss him off and if let him decide if he wants to react in a way the loses future business or not. There are other LDS's around.

So....my plan...which you all think will lead to a cage match or something only slightly less physical is this:
I already bought OW training and personal gear from him for myself and my daughter. Before class starts I will buy our wetsuits from whichever store has the best fitting ones, it could be his or not. During the confined water training time I am planning on sampling and buying our regs from him so I have local service and warranty. About the same time I am thinking about buying my daughters bc from him but may not and I do not plan on buying mine from him. Thus we will show up during our OW course before the final confined water dive and before the open water dives with other gear not purchased from him. The only other option I can see is to buy my daughters bc from him and not mine and explain it's because he doesn't sell the one I wanted - "boy I wish you sold it - I REALLY wanted to buy it from you". Still why would he get so pissed, after all I bought most of the stuff from him.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your idea of what you THINK you need, and what everyone ELSE tells you need, is going to change numerous times until you get some experience (unless I tell what you need :) )

You are paying that price for the scuba classes cause it includes the gear rental. The chlorine in the water will fade your gear. I don't know where these guys are getting certified from, but my LDS replaces there rental gear often and its in great shape.

PS. Buy on-line, you'll save a lot, so much so that the factory warranty excuse don't hold any water. Do the calculations yourself, you'll see. Take the money you save, and go to Cozumel, or send it to me....:)

e.g Ask your LDS what their price is for the following mask:

Cressi-Sub Big-Eyes (I hope this is the one you bought), now look at the price on Leisure Pro or Scuba Toys.

As ShakaZulu says, don't do it!

Not so much because you don't know what you need but because the confrontation will be ugly. Yes, some dive shops are that stupid.

Since you can't now use an independent instructor, why not just delay your big purchases? What's the hurry? Yes, it's great to train in what you own but not if it starts a war. The shop gear will usually be quite adequate.

Buying wetsuits is probably better than swimming in wetsuits other have peed in. But wetsuits aren't expensive so it doesn't matter where you buy them. Now drysuits are a different story...

BCs and regs are expensive and even more so in most LDSs. Do some price comparisons before you decide.

Richard

jtpwils,

It's a nice idea but it assumes you are in the right gear.

At the end of the day with relation to training dive gear is fairly ubiquitous. And I would submit that to face some changes can be good adaptive training. I had a different model or size BC for each of my confined water sessions. I learned that within reason I could make them all do what needed to be done. Needless to say some would not have been good long terms solutions.

Get certified in shop gear (except personal items) and take advantage of whatever sampling options are available to you such as shop gear rental gear and borrowed gear. As you find stuff that clicks for you invest.

Disclosure, I certified in my own gear and all of it has served me well for the last 400+ dives. When I made that decision I had been a ScubaBoard junkie for over a year and had read and learned a lot.

Pete

chlorine in the water will fade your gear
Fade or damage because fade -> who cares?
Your idea of what you THINK you need, and what everyone ELSE tells you need, is going to change numerous times until you get some experience (unless I tell what you need )

All of the below will be discussed in detail on the other forums
Me
BCD: BP/w It makes the most sense as far as travel and suitability to multiple dive conditions.
Regs: SP or Oceanic high quality regs;
Watch/Computer: a watch, something cheap, like a casio until I have enough experience or need for a computer to give me more bottom time. In the beginning I'm figuring my own air consumption will limit my dive time, not my N2, so it will be dive tables or gas pressure that thumbs my dive.
SPG: I want a back up SPG for the future dive when my wireless computer craps out and I'll need a backup instead of aborting my dive.

Daughter:
Same as above but probably a SP classic sport

e.g Ask your LDS what their price is for the following mask:

Cressi-Sub Big-Eyes (I hope this is the one you bought), now look at the price on Leisure Pro
I know that online is a lot cheaper. I bought the original gear from him knowing I would pay more but wanted to "support my local shop". BTW I tried the Big Eyes and also the Cressi SuperOccio but ended up deciding on a SP scout.

Yes, it's great to train in what you own but not if it starts a war. The shop gear will usually be quite adequate.
True - I agree with that. At the same time, even if I put off the major purchases until after the OW certification. The premise that I need to buy all of my gear from them is an unrealistic expectation and counter productive to their success if it means I otherwise need to sever relations with them.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions guys. :)

Last edited:
It sounds like you've got it well thought out. I hope we are being alarmists. Please keep us all posted every step of the way.

I hope we are being alarmists.[/end quote]
Me too - I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again for the help

What happen if you were to start your OW course and then change your mind and figure out that SCUBA isn't the thing for you?

You'll be lucky if you can get rid of your gear anywhere close to what you've spent.

Plenty of people have gone to OW and either didn't pass or quit and never gone back. Or even when they passed, they went diving a few times and decided that it ain't worth their hassles.

Is it standard in the US that dive shops contract that you must buy your gear from them?

If it isn't in any small print, then I can't see how a LDS can object that you made a consumer decision to purchase elsewhere?.....providing the gear is safe and suitable.

Back
Top Bottom