Tragedy on Leyte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My prayers are with you.
Rick

Death Toll Mounts After Mudslide in Philippines
Friday, February 17, 2006
service_ap_36.gif

MANILA, Philippines — A rain-soaked mountainside disintegrated into a torrent of mud, swallowing hundreds of houses and an elementary school in the eastern Philippines on Friday. Eighteen people were confirmed dead, and at least 1,500 were missing.
"It sounded like the mountain exploded, and the whole thing crumbled," survivor Dario Libatan told Manila radio DZMM. "I could not see any house standing anymore."
The farming village of Guinsaugon on Leyte island, 420 miles southeast of Manila, was virtually wiped out, with only a few jumbles of corrugated steel sheeting left to show that the community of some 2,500 people ever existed.
Two other villages also were affected, and about 3,000 evacuees were at a municipal hall.
"We did not find injured people," said Ricky Estela, a crewman on a helicopter that flew a politician to the scene. "Most of them are dead and beneath the mud."
The mud was so deep — up to 30 feet in some places — and unstable that rescue workers had difficulty approaching the school. Education officials said 200 students, six teachers and the principal were believed to have been there.
Sen. Richard Gordon, head of the Philippine Red Cross, said 1,500 people were missing and 200 people might be dead.
He appealed to U.S. troops in the Philippines for a joint military exercises to send helicopters. U.S. military spokesman Capt. Dennis Palmer said American forces were ready to help as soon as they received an official request from the Philippine government.
The provincial governor asked for people to dig by hand, saying the mud was too soft for heavy equipment.
There appeared to be little hope for finding many survivors, and only about three dozen were extricated from the brown morass before dark halted rescue efforts for the night.
"It was like the whole village was wiped out," said air force spokesman Lt. Col. Restituto Padilla.
Aerial TV footage showed a wide swath of mud amid stretches of rice paddies at the foothills of the scarred mountain, where survivors blamed illegal logging for contributing to the disaster.
Rescue workers dug with shovels for signs of survivors, and put a child on a stretcher, with little more than the girl's eyes showing through a covering of mud.
"Let us all pray for those who perished and were affected by this tragedy," President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said in a statement.
"Help is on the way," she promised survivors. "You will soon be out of harm's way."
Volunteers from nearby provinces were quickly joined by groups of troops being ferried in by helicopter, with more en route by sea.
Army Capt. Edmund Abella said he and about 30 soldiers from his unit were soaking wet from wading through mud up to their waists. Flash floods also were inundating the area, and the rumble of a secondary landslide sent rescuers scurrying for safety.
"The people said the ground suddenly shook, then a part of the mountain collapsed onto the village," Abella told AP by cell phone. "Some houses were carried by the mudflow, some were destroyed and other were buried.
"It's very difficult, we're digging by hand, the place is so vast and the mud is so thick. When we try to walk, we get stuck in the mud."
He said the troops had just rescued a 43-year-old woman.
"She was crying and looking for her three nephews, but they were nowhere to be found," Abella said.
While the official death toll was only 18, Southern Leyte province Gov. Rosette Lerias told radio DZBB that 500 houses in Guinsaugon were feared buried after nonstop rains for two weeks.
An elementary school was in session when the landslide struck between 9 and 10 a.m., and about 100 people were visiting the village for a women's group meeting.
"The ground has really been soaked because of the rain," Lerias said of downpours blamed on the La Nina weather phenomenon. "The trees were sliding down upright with the mud."
She said about half a square mile was covered in thick mud that remained unstable.
"Our communication line was cut because our people had to flee because the landslide appeared to be crawling," Lerias said.
Rep. Roger Mercado, who represents Southern Leyte, said the mud covered coconut trees and damaged the national highway leading to the village.
Lerias said many residents evacuated the area last week due to the threat of landslides or flooding, but had started returning home during increasingly sunny days, with the rains limited to evening downpours.
In 1944, Leyte island became the scene of the biggest naval battle in history, when U.S. Gen. Douglas MacArthur fulfilled his famed vow "I shall return" and routed Japanese forces occupying the Philippines.
In November 1991, about 6,000 people were killed on Leyte in floods and landslides triggered by a tropical storm. Another 133 people died in floods and mudslides there in December 2003.
Last weekend, seven road construction workers died in a landslide after falling into a 150-foot deep ravine in the mountain town of Sogod on Leyte

truly sad news...I contacted Phil, part owner of the newest dive resort in Sogod Bay, yesterday and he texted "some landslides other side of the bay, nothing major". But they are helping the affected ones. Yup, La Nina is here.

This is terrible news, I just heard it on the radio as I was driving home. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

Z...

A friend in the Philippines had indicated La Nina was bringing heavy rains, but I just heard this on the news. Fortunately she is not in the area affected but I will have to contact her to see if family or friends were.

yeah la nina is hitting in sporadically al over the country. it hits without warning and leaves a wake of destruction behind it. my prayers to the families of the deceased. by the way this is not the first incident of mudslides. Guys remember ormoc in the 90's? landslides/deforestation and la nina are a wicked recipee for disaster

My condolences and prayers go out to all affected by this trajedy.

This also happened at the end of 2004 in Quezon. My thoughts and prayers go out to the area. US support will be a God send. Their seahawks can operate during the evening - something that our choppers can't do. I also pray for the relief workers and army who are now in 24-7 assist mode.

thanks uncle ricky for the news.

I read this morning that the mountain is still moving and large boulders are hampering rescue efforts. We are sending Chinooks from Japan to help. They can fly in blinding rainstorms.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those of you with families and friends involved. How horrible it must be to lose an entire barrio.

Too sad....It just seems so unfair to me that the nation that smiles more than any place I've been, is confronted with so many tragedies.

Back
Top Bottom