Trading in the north for the south

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Since I relocated to south Florida last year I have been enjoying the year-round diving. Not that I did not dive year-round in the north but there is a bit of a difference. Here is what i miss and don't miss as told in pictures:

I don't miss waiting for the ice to melt so we don't have to go through the trouble of a setup with ropes and coordinating surface personnel
PICT0001.jpg

I do miss goofing around with my great dive buddies like this one. We swear he has gills. He gets well over an hour at 50' with a steel 72 in 34F degree water
IPICT0002.jpg

I don't miss the scenic beauty of rusted metal roofs
PICT0003.jpg

I don't miss the cold water and wind
PICT0004.jpg

I don't miss the darkness after the first 20' of depth in a lake
PICT0007.jpg

Did I say I don't miss the cold 34F degree water?
PICT0008.jpg

I don't miss the poor visibility and "surface of the moon" like bottom of cold, dark lakes
PICT0011.jpg

I do miss popping up near the docks and boathouses scaring people
PICT0026.jpg

I don't miss the beautiful brown view of the trees. I traded them in for greenery and palm trees
PICT0028.jpg

Thanks for the perspective. I forget about the tundra, its become a foreign concept. Today I got grumpy about a thunderstorm blowing out my pool session.

As for the goofing with great dive buddies, you just need some FL buddies. Have you been to a Megadive at Ginnie Springs, Vortoberfest at Vortex Springs, or a Venice Beach Bash (you'll feel nostalgic with the viz when shark's tooth hunting)? Shenanigans run amok where ScubaBoarders unite. ijs

:D

If you're interested in nice weather, we had an apocalyptic dust storm earlier this week, then it started raining a bit, so it was raining mud, then it snowed on top of the mud. And no diving within hours of here. Now is that a diver's paradise, or what? :shakehead:

Last edited:
If you're interested in nice weather, we had an apocalyptic dust storm earlier this week, then it started raining a bit, so it was raining mud, then it snowed on top of the mud. And no diving with hours of here. Now is that a diver's paradise, or what? :shakehead:

Wow. This sounds better than some Caribbean location! :wink:

Where... Haiti?

Last edited:
The North he says... :blinking:

Nice pictures, I'm sort of jealous you had regular outings near lake-side houses and docks. I'd love scaring the bejesus out of people or coming up like some marine on a mission.

Looking at those pictures, it ain't the north or the cold that would bother me, it's the fresh water. Lakes are OK twice a year or so just to do something different and to rinse off your gear, but if that's all I had for regular diving I'd just give it up. I'd probably make an exception for the great lakes though.

I got certified in Menominee MI.. it was a pain waiting for the ice to melt. as to this day they are still getting snow. i do miss my dive buddy back up north and the fresh water shenanigans we did in green bay. but i do not miss the overly long and frigid cold winters. if i heard one more person say ice diving i was gonna just start running south. it was fun seeing large lakefish and grass beds but i wont trade my salt water for it again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom