TPII and Travel wing - First Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use my BP and wing in the tropics... Long hose too... You're right though. I'm usually the only one doing it... Usually get alot of questions.....LOL Especially about the long hose.

TP 2's are nice I have one with a Trek wing. Used to take it on trips. But the 27 Pioneer and AL backplate pack smaller then the TP 2. And all that extra padding on the TP probably equals out to the weight of the AL plate. Maybe not though. I just know it packs smaller...

Did like my TP alot though. Just moved on to another rig... Have fun with yours....

And Drinking alot of beer for a year doesn't always help...LOL

I do and make my own beer too. I just happen to have a Nuclear metabolism.....LOL..... Burns it up fast.... And I'm 36 and even with the hotwings it won't stick on the old bones.......LOL

DolphinDiver

Who did you dive with, where did you stay, any tips ? Did you post a report ?

Leadweight

No problem, I will post a report and if I can get the camera to work (just bought it, an Olympus C5050 and Pt015) I'll include some pictures.

Ian

Yes, I think that the BPW would pack smaller. With the padding the TPII has some bulk - it's about the same as my wife's finseal which is jacket style but pretty streamlined. When the TP is wet it's really heavy because the padding is made to soak up water to not be buoyant. You have make sure to dry it completely before packing. Of course there is the option to leave off the big back pad. That would make it pack smaller. But I personally like the cushy padding while I'm wearing the rig on land. Kind of a luxury but that's what it was designed for...

IanH

I think my wife posted a report, not sure.

Anyway, we stayed at Hotel Bora Bora. Pretty expensive - Dick Clark was there too! Where all the "rich and famous" go I guess. Next time I'd stay at the Pearl which is less pretentious.

We dove with Bora Divers. They are great, friendly and professional. I heard all the best dive masters work with them. Really service oriented and they pick you up at your hotel's dock.

I don't travel with my back pad. The TP is still mighty comfy without it.

I hated trying to rinse out my BP with all the extra weight and wetness from the pad. It NEVER dried fast enough when it had the back pad. I always ended up packing it sopping wet.

DolphinDiver once bubbled...
Yes, I think that the BPW would pack smaller. With the padding the TPII has some bulk - it's about the same as my wife's finseal which is jacket style but pretty streamlined. When the TP is wet it's really heavy because the padding is made to soak up water to not be buoyant. You have make sure to dry it completely before packing. Of course there is the option to leave off the big back pad. That would make it pack smaller. But I personally like the cushy padding while I'm wearing the rig on land. Kind of a luxury but that's what it was designed for...

Just had my first dives with same setup, i had top band right on the top of tank, which felt prety good on land but tended to ride up during the dive. Pulling the straps tight under your arm just seemed to make matters worse so i left them looser. Beer belly would help, noticed someone else on trip was using TPII with twins and a large beer belly, his stayed in place better. As i am trying to lose belly this isn't going to work for me. Is the crotch strap the way to go?????????

also tried weights in different places best seems to be on waist strap between the back of harness and the metal plate. Has anyone tried any weight on the lower tank band?

I have foud that is possible to get the back pad dry even in high humidity tropical climates. Squeeze all the water out when you put the harness out to dry and come back about two hours later and squeeze out the water again, as some additional water will have collected at the bottom. Once in a suitcase with other stuff the pad does compress, so it does not take up much space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom