Toylike snorkels...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure how (or why) you'd want to clear one underwater...

I always clear mine underwater when freediving. On the way up you look to the surface, the barrel of the snorkel is facing down, breathe into the snorkel gently and the air and its expansion as you surface clears the snorkel. As you break the surface face towards the bottom and the snorkel breaks the surface already cleared. It beats the he** out of blowing it clear each time, and no valve to screw up.

I've been using a snorkel since I was 5 or 6, and I have to admit that the dry snorkel is much better than the one with the ball in the cage on top.

Oh yeah, what Eric said.

Bob
---------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Last edited:
I always clear mine underwater when freediving. On the way up you look to the surface, the barrel of the snorkel is facing down, breathe into the snorkel gently and the air and its expansion as you surface clears the snorkel. As you break the surface face towards the bottom and the snorkel breaks the surface already cleared. It beats the he** out of blowing it clear each time, and no valve to screw up.

I've been using a snorkel since I was 5 or 6, and I have to admit that the dry snorkel is much better than the one with the ball in the cage on top.

Oh yeah, what Eric said.

Bob
---------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I'm not a freediver, but I thought I read something that it was bad to look anywhere but straight ahead? I don't recall if it was due to increased blackouts or something else.

you're better off not having the snorkel in your mouth while underwater; if something was to happen your airway becomes a waterway. Snorkel is only to be used on the surface.

I always clear mine underwater when freediving. On the way up you look to the surface, the barrel of the snorkel is facing down, breathe into the snorkel gently and the air and its expansion as you surface clears the snorkel.

Ah, that. No, the air will come out of the valve instead of down the tube. Unless you plug the valve with your finger on the way up. I can use my snorkel for occasional dive while snorkelling but I have to remember to leave enough air in my lungs and purge it after I get up top and horizontal. I wouldn't use it for deeper free dives, I'd get one without the valve.

The other failure mode for the valve is stuck open, then you'll be breathing in water all the time.

You get what you pay for. I have an Atomic snorkel, I enjoy using it but frankly, I much prefer my Omer free diving snorkel. It is a soft rubber, simple, J tube with no extra length or any valves or gizmos.

N

When I free dive with a snorkel I use it to breathe up on the surface, then when I'm done packing I remove the snorkel from my mouth and descend clearing as I go down. I never leave the snorkel in my mouth underwater. When I come up I break the surface face forward and blow out air only when I clear the water. Then I breathe deeply with no snorkel until I reoxygenate.
With scuba I only use a snorkel on shore dives when I know I'll have a lengthy surface swim, or through kelp.

When I free dive with a snorkel I use it to breathe up on the surface, then when I'm done packing I remove the snorkel from my mouth and descend clearing as I go down. I never leave the snorkel in my mouth underwater. When I come up I break the surface face forward and blow out air only when I clear the water. Then I breathe deeply with no snorkel until I reoxygenate.
With scuba I only use a snorkel on shore dives when I know I'll have a lengthy surface swim, or through kelp.

Why not begin to exhale on the last part of the ascent? It will hasten your ability to get fresh air? Also,have you ever heard about "hook" breaths?

Why not begin to exhale on the last part of the ascent? It will hasten your ability to get fresh air? Also,have you ever heard about "hook" breaths?
Why don't I begin to exhale before I break the surface? Because like I said, I don't have a snorkel in my mouth at that point. I was taught by pro freedivers to blast out/exhale air as soon as you break surface with your head fully clear of the water then inhale deeply without anything (like a snorkel still in your mouth) restricting air intake. They do this to avoid a samba. They made a point to teach never to let any air go underwater.
So exhaling before breaking the surface would be pointless.

And no, I haven't heard of "hook" breaths.

Why don't I begin to exhale before I break the surface? Because like I said, I don't have a snorkel in my mouth at that point. I was taught by pro freedivers to blast out/exhale air as soon as you break surface with your head fully clear of the water then inhale deeply without anything (like a snorkel still in your mouth) restricting air intake. They do this to avoid a samba. They made a point to teach never to let any air go underwater.
So exhaling before breaking the surface would be pointless.

And no, I haven't heard of "hook" breaths.

Hook breaths are (as I understand it) pretty standard in all current freedive classes as a means to reduce the chance of black out when reaching the surface (which is where a big majority occur).

I am curious as to why they taught you to not exhale during the final ascent. Everyone I dive with exhales as they are completing the dive.. The sooner you exhale, the sooner you can inhale .. is my logic.

Hook breaths are (as I understand it) pretty standard in all current freedive classes as a means to reduce the chance of black out when reaching the surface (which is where a big majority occur).

I am curious as to why they taught you to not exhale during the final ascent. Everyone I dive with exhales as they are completing the dive.. The sooner you exhale, the sooner you can inhale .. is my logic.
That still doesn't explain or give a definition of 'hook' breaths.
What exactly is a hook breath and how does it prevent divers from blacking out at 15'?
Other than not blowing off all C02, then lung packing, not overexerting underwater, and watching apnea time, I'm unaware of anything else that would prevent shallow water black out.
Freediving is pretty simple, get a breath, go down, then come back up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom