Tourist lost - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Testing

Wow - they really won't allow the link - and I don't know how to delete a post.

We dove Santa Rosa wall for our first dive yesterday morning, and it was a calm, clear dive. Guess you never know if conditions might change quickly, or if a diver might have an individual issue. Hope we get some more details.

Hyper Whistle says it produces up to 142 dB, I wonder how that compares to Dive Alert, I could not find specs
Storm whistle or tank air supplied Dive Alert? I have to duck my head in the water when I use my Dive Alert.
The Storm whistle inventor made a video about those...

When I first joined DAN they were giving out these nifty name tags that are also signal mirrors. I've worn it ever since. I carry an SMB, and I learned how to whistle about as loud as most of the regular whistles - but that one that @Johnoly posted looks good.

I hope things turn out well for this diver. I'd really like more details to help me determine what I can do better to avoid this happening. That said, sometimes things happen you simply can't prepare for - and 'you don't know what you don't know'.
This is from a Cozumel Divers FB group:

“Ericka Tapper Your info was correct.

I hate posting this info, but want to give accurate info to reduce speculation.

My wife and I were diving on the same boat, different dive group. The “lost” diver was VERY experienced. He was only several feet from his wife and his dive master on the wall as they were preparing their SMB. A sudden down current pulled him down before anyone could help.

The currents were strong and multi-directional, but manageable the whole dive…up until that point. Read about down currents online. They come on suddenly and unpredictably. (There was even a vortex at the surface over blue water as we came up from our safety stop.)

It does not matter which dive shop we were with. I was on the boat and witnessed it all. They had to account for the other divers/teams while preparing to search. I am confident they did not delay the search and they did not “lose him”. The dive master was within sight when it happened. The dive masters and dive company did everything they could.

Most importantly to everyone who reads this: Please, do not speculate. Please be respectful of the lost diver and his grieving wife. We spent hours consoling her last night and this morning.”

Please be respectful of the lost diver and his grieving wife. We spent hours consoling her last night and this morning.”
Thanks for the information Bilboinsa. Friends and relatives of victims are discouraged from reading these discussions as we try to learn from them. It was great of you to stick with the wife and help as possible.
A sudden down current pulled him down before anyone could help.
I've long thought that Cozumel currents are too little discussed. Vacation divers should know how to escape one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom