Touch signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I have these two friends who've been diving together for a while. They have evolved a whole lexicon of hand and light signals ... and when they dive together they're constantly "talking" to each other. In fact, I have to tell 'em to "shut up" once in a while just to get a little peace and "quiet" down there ... :D

Seriously, one of the advantages of having a regular dive buddy is that signals become almost redundant after a while. A couple years ago I did a lot of diving with one particular fellow ... we did over a hundred dives together in about a six-month period. It got to the point where we almost didn't use hand or light signals at all. A look, a head nod, a shrug ... we just seemed to know each other so well that more wasn't necessary.

We've since gone our separate ways (since my work schedule and his are at odds with each other) ... but I miss that level of communication.

Anyway ... you can develop an entire "language" if you like, as long as you and your buddy both know what a given signal means.

Back on topic ... Wendy, I wasted no time in passing those touch signals along to my students. Had a navigation class last night, where I have my students working as a team on mid-water exercises. The touch signals worked incredibly well ... not to mention teaching a couple of new divers the importance of staying close to your buddy. A cool thing to add to the tool kit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom