Touch signals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The question:

I´ve been reading up on DIR on this forum and elsewhere and every once in a while someone mentions touch-signaling, usually in class reports...

Touch signals seem like a very good idea. I´d like to add the touch signal language to my diving-communication tool-box. Does anyone have a "conversion list" from touch signals to english? Or could you explain the most common/useful signals so that I and my regular buddies can communicate uw without all that honking that comes from communicating by morse-code? (just kidding!)

Looking forward to you replies

Touch contact signals would be used in a lights out, or lights out air sharing situation and usually while traveling on a line.

I guess you would need to know how the divers are position to really picture it, but here are the signals, done either on the arm or leg.

firm squeeze - stop

push/shove forward - move forward

backward tug - back up

crossing the index and middle finger and jamming it in a buddy's hand, twisting back and forth - line entanglement

same thing without the twisting - line

We also use light signals, let me know if you want to know them.

Thanx Wendy!
...guess I´m far from the only one commuting between forums, huh

btw, are there any others?
everything but the linesignals seem intuitive...

By light signals do you mean "making an o" with your light for ok?
That and the sign for "something wrong"/"i need your attention" ie pulling the light back and forth are the only ones I know...are there others?

grazie42:
Thanx Wendy!
...guess I´m far from the only one commuting between forums, huh

btw, are there any others?
everything but the linesignals seem intuitive...

By light signals do you mean "making an o" with your light for ok?
That and the sign for "something wrong"/"i need your attention" ie pulling the light back and forth are the only ones I know...are there others?

nope, the 'ok' 'attention' and 'emergency' are the only ones I use in cave. I know you are just interested in wreck, but just think of them as steel caves. And make sure you have proper training if you are going to be doing any penetration in a wreck as it is an overhead just like a cave.

Thank you Wendy ... this is useful info, and something I'll be adding to my limited visibility curriculum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't forget the passive one. Your light should pass the buddy's field of vision from time to time or remain there so he knows you are there. No need to turn and look.

Wendy:
nope, the 'ok' 'attention' and 'emergency' are the only ones I use in cave. I know you are just interested in wreck, but just think of them as steel caves. And make sure you have proper training if you are going to be doing any penetration in a wreck as it is an overhead just like a cave.

Dan Gibson:
Don't forget the passive one. Your light should pass the buddy's field of vision from time to time or remain there so he knows you are there. No need to turn and look.
I wonder, perhaps there's some advantage after all to those clear-silicone-skirted masks. Does anyone know if this "hello i'm still here" technique works with teh black-skirted masks as well?

I've used that technique....... although I have to be careful about it, as my HID can easily blind a buddy if he decides to turn and look when I do that.

Another useful signal with regards to the line signal is a twist to either the left or right in the hand to signify the need to switch sides on the line such as when the line meets in a placement or wrap with say the left wall of the cave/wreck and one needs to switch to the right side of the line to negotiate past it. Nice to have only one of you have to bump your head! :wink:

FreeFloat:
I wonder, perhaps there's some advantage after all to those clear-silicone-skirted masks. Does anyone know if this "hello i'm still here" technique works with teh black-skirted masks as well?

I've used that technique....... although I have to be careful about it, as my HID can easily blind a buddy if he decides to turn and look when I do that.
The spot of your light should go where your buddy is looking (ie where their spot of light is). Do not point your HID at your buddies face. Therefore the color of the skirt will not matter.

The light beam is placed on the cave, wreck, sea floor, or particles in the water column.

FreeFloat:

What technique is that!?!? :11: Yikes! Glad you didn't use that on the night dive with me!

Where your buddies light is shining is where their attention is at that moment. If you shine your light there then you will get their attention. This is one of the reasons why it is highly recommended that you and your buddy have equal powered beams because you want your light to be noticed and not be over or underpowered compared to you buddies.

You can use a slow side to side attention signal to let them know you need them or their attention elsewhere vs a fast emergency (read out of air) signal but don't use it like the boy who cried wolf.

If you are not trying to get their attention and merely want an affirmation that all is well use the circular ok signal near their light which will always be returned with either an ok or an indication that something is NOT ok.

Even more relaxed is to just let your beam cross your buddies field of view every now and again to let them know that you are alive and behind them rather than force the forward buddy to enquire with an OK if you happen to be in single file or staggered.

Always avoid sharp movements with your light where possible as these can be construed as a diver in trouble and again force your buddy to check you out to find out it is a false alarm. This adds to the overall stress of the dive.

Too many light signals are sometimes more stressful then not enough. Find a balance and don't annoy the hell out of your buddy with constant ok's but also make sure you have situational awareness and know where your buddy is at all times. Something you are quiet good at if I say so myself.

I just mentioned to someone on here that at $14.95 US the GUE Beyond The Daylight Zone cave diving manual from the GUE website is a value and well worth the read for anyone considering overhead or night diving.

http://www.gue.com/catalog/order

Another great and cheap read is Sheck Exley's Basic Cave Diving a Blueprint for Survival at around $8.95 US.

http://www.nsscds.org/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CESF&Category_Code=BK

These books provide a ton of invaluable information on how to safely approach diving in the overhead environment and when combined with good training make for a safer diver all around. Not to mention that at a combined price of under $28 they are really a steal.

Good luck on your NACD cavern cert freefloat. It's a really fun course!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom