TOTAL newbie - Please be gentle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adrian_london

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I'm a TOTAL newbie to all of this and I have loads of questions I'd like to ask so please bear with me.

There are different forums for different questions but I'd like to post them all here and then separate them indiviually into the other forums as well.

1) I'm off to Maui in Feb 09. I'm going to do my PADI course there. I've visited a web site called Maui Scuba Certification and Scuba Instruction Does anyone have any experiences with them (good or bad).

2) Are there any other places in Hawaii that I should go to (outside of Maui)

3) Should I buy any equipment or should I just hire the lot while I'm out there (obviously i've no idea whether I'm going to enjoy it or not - although I'm sure i will). The above website offers 1 weeks hire for $125. It sounds like a good deal to me. Refilling the tank will cost extra.

4) My last question is about cameras. I'll leave that for a different forum.

Adrian

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to O'hana..

Hi all

I'm a TOTAL newbie to all of this and I have loads of questions I'd like to ask so please bear with me.

There are different forums for different questions but I'd like to post them all here and then separate them indiviually into the other forums as well.

1) I'm off to Maui in Feb 09. I'm going to do my PADI course there. I've visited a web site called Maui Scuba Certification and Scuba Instruction Does anyone have any experiences with them (good or bad).

3) Should I buy any equipment or should I just hire the lot while I'm out there (obviously i've no idea whether I'm going to enjoy it or not - although I'm sure i will). The above website offers 1 weeks hire for $125. It sounds like a good deal to me. Refilling the tank will cost extra.

4) My last question is about cameras. I'll leave that for a different forum.

Adrian

To answer a couple of your questions:

2.) If you have time, fly to the Big Island and dive in Kona. There are several good dive operators. We really like Jack's Diving Locker.

3.) I'd recommend renting equipment until after you are certified, and you know for sure you are "hooked" on diving!

Have fun!

Oh. And about that camera that didn't ask about.

Forget about it until well after you're certified. You'll be AMAZED at how quickly you become task overloaded underwater. Full concentration is needed for breathing, buoyancy, etc.

Pacific Dive is a good operation -- one of two that do any shore operations that I'd recommend on the Lahaina-side of Maui.

Other options:
1. Maui Dreams Dive Co. (Kihei-side)
2. kidspot (IANTD instructor on Lahaina-side -- kidspot is his username here)
3. it's a long way off for me to plan, but I can help you out, too

It depends on how much time you have. If you want to catch the "must-see" spots off of Maui, plan on two boat-dive days after certification to hit up Molokini (one day) and Lanai (one day). If you still have more time to wedge diving stuff in, then totally consider the Big Island -- and Oahu has some wrecks, too.

Do *NOT* buy equipment until you've had a chance to try it out. This is a big investment and buying-before-trying is the number one way to ensure you have multiple sets of gear in your closet! If you find a mask that fits, then certainly get that -- same with wetsuit and booties. Try several different types of fins before you buy them, though... same with different brands of regulators and BCD's.

4) My last question is about cameras.

Forget about it until well after you're certified. You'll be AMAZED at how quickly you become task overloaded underwater. Full concentration is needed for breathing, buoyancy, etc.

See, I'd disagree here. Having the ability to share the adventure with others that didn't get wet is a great thing. Part of the thing with cameras, however, is knowing when to just let it float on the lanyard -- there are times when taking photos isn't as important as everything else that's going on!

Of course, if you're thinking of investing thousands into a multi-strobe, dSLR rig... well, don't bother yet. But getting a Canon (or similar) Point & Shoot with housing is a really handy thing to have around -- and you may find it makes your other parts of diving "work" better... I know my breathing rate improves, as does my buoyancy when I'm taking photos (and did the very first time I took a digital camera underwater).

Hi all

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Do you have any plans of doing local dives after you are certified?

It appears the course you will be taking is only two days in duration. While that is likely enough to get in and out of a dive in Hawaii, with a guide, there's a lot to diving and two days is a very short time to learn enough to be comfortable in the water.

You would be better served by getting certified locally and using your vacation to relax and enjoy the water.

Hi Adrian,

Do you have any plans of doing local dives after you are certified?

It appears the course you will be taking is only two days in duration. While that is likely enough to get in and out of a dive in Hawaii, with a guide, there's a lot to diving and two days is a very short time to learn enough to be comfortable in the water.

You would be better served by getting certified locally and using your vacation to relax and enjoy the water.

I'd like to do as much diving as possible while I'm out there. I'm goin to be there for just over 4 weeks. I've got friends in Maui so I'm not worried about hotel bills while i'm there. If/when I go to the other Islands I'd need to take the cost of hotels/motels into consideration.

If you think that a 2 day course is not going to be enough, please can you recommend what course I should do. Ideally, at the end of it, I'd like to be able to do some diving without someone having to hold my hand so to speak.

I'm not really into shipwrecks etc. I'm just more looking forward to swimming with the sea life.

As for cameras........

I've bought a Canon Ixus 950IS. I'm going to buy the housing unit for it. I'm really looking forward to taking as many pictures as I can while I'm diving. I don't mind not taking pictures for the first few dives so I can get used to diving but by the end of my holiday I want to be able to take loads of pictures back home with me.

Adrian

I've bought a Canon Ixus 950IS. I'm going to buy the housing unit for it. I'm really looking forward to taking as many pictures as I can while I'm diving. I don't mind not taking pictures for the first few dives so I can get used to diving but by the end of my holiday I want to be able to take loads of pictures back home with me.

So much of this depends on your basic skills. If you can control your buoyancy well enough to keep from bashing into the bottom or coral, and you are careful and thoughtful with your buddy(s), and you have the camera attached with a lanyard so that you can drop it if you need to, then go for it. Pictures are a priceless reminder of your trip and dives.

Two day courses came into existence to capture the market of people who were on vacation and needed a quick and easy means to get certified that would be profitable.

While virtually anyone can dive, it takes considerable knowledge to do it safely. It also takes experience to master the skills required to be confident and comfortable in the water. While I can't personally recommend an instructor, I would recommend looking for a course that offers at a minimum:

Home study is fine, if you can manage to block out time from your vacation to do the studies. The academics are pretty simple and most of what you learn from the books has little impact on the skills you will need to master.

Water time is where you learn to dive. I would recommend a course that allows a minimum of 8 hours pool time. Ideally, the pool or confined water will be on site. Ask about arrangements for additional pool sessions in case you need more time. The more time you can spend working on skills in the pool, the more comfortable you will be in OW.

Ask about the checkout dives. While Maui has some beautiful diving, you're doing these dives for training. They shouldn't be tours, they should be training dives and the more the course offers, the better. You instructor should be giving lots of constructive criticism after the dives. Even if you do great, there's always room for improvement and a good instructor will steer you in the right direction.

As a point of reference, the OW course I teach consists of approximately 12 hours class, 12 hours pool and 5 checkout dives conducted over two days. The days of checkouts last about 8 hours each. I could double the duration and the number of checkouts and still wish I had more time. We charge $300 for the course.

Two day courses scare me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom