Tossing the Salad: Veteran's Park Dive Report 6.24.12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since Thursday, conditions have been deteriorating in Laguna and brown water with swell has been plaguing the peninsula. I have been wanting for a long time to photograph Sarcastic Fringeheads, so with poor conditions elsewhere Veteran's park was an ideal site to get wet. There were plenty of divers gearing down in the parking lot by the time we got there and most reported decent visibility at depth. Pushing through the 2-3ft surf was easy and there was no giant "step" present in the surf zone. The plan was to hover between 45-60ft in the "Salad Bowl" area and look for interesting critters. After the first few minutes we hadn't found any Fringeheads, so we decided to drop further down the canyon to around 75-80ft. Even less life was found at these depths, so we ventured back up the canyon. Charlie found our first Pleurobranchaea californica and shortly after I found another individual, but he was at least 4 times larger. I didn't know they got that big! He was the size of a softball! Lots of crabs, lizard fish, sand dabs, sea stars and turbots were hanging about, but no Sarcastic Fringeheads. Other highlights included two rockfish juveniles no more then two inches long hiding in a strand of feather boa kelp, an unidentified adult rockfish with dark blue colorations, and two octopus hiding in metal piping. My #2 strobe is still at Ikelite's repair facility, so photography was limited to a one strobe / focus light combo. With the sandy suspended particles, many of my shots were unremarkable. Here are the few which survived the tossed salad:
SanDab.jpg

PleurobrancaeacalifornicaCropSharpen.jpg

PleurobrancaeacalifornicaBigMamaCropSharpen.jpg

JuviRockCrop.jpg

Crab-1.jpg

Last edited:
The fringeheads usually stay inside their adopted homes which remarkably resemble turban snail shells.

Charlie and I searched every shell we came across, but no inhabitants were found inside.:depressed:

Did you get a macro lens? The macro shots of the sand dab and juvenile rock fish look really good.

No macro lens yet. I was pretty set on getting the subsee but then you threw that Dyron into the mix.:wink: Want to do a bit more research before purchasing. Thanks for the compliment though. I just zoomed in, rather then approaching close. It seems like everything is skittish at Vets.

Last edited:
Nice crisp shots, Frank! Great find on the Pleurobrachaea - we're so glad you guys got out. Redondo Canyon/Vets is so different from other local sites, and it often holds a few surprises...I miss it!

Thx Merry :wink: I was stoked to finally see a Pleurobrachaea. One more to add to the growing Opisthobranch list. The Canyon is a really cool site to find unusual sand dwellers but I can see why Phil doesn't like shore diving it. Camera tear down and gear rinse is extremely time consuming when every nook and cranny is covered in sand. Conditions are really looking good for the tail end of the week. Charlie and I are looking forward to returning to the goat trail sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom