ToS update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pecking order, hah me and Pete disagree about a lot of things.

The fact is only a few are willing to say hey this guy is a total detriment to this site with nothing at all to contribute except giving bad and sometimes outright dangerous advice to new people.

For Scubaboard shunning, perhaps we need a new button, Dislike, that darkens a post, and after 3 or 4 different people dislike a comment, it is too dark to read.

Interesting thought, but darkening the post is beyond the customization options in xenForo — for other readers this is the program ScubaBoard runs on.

Staff members debated including a "Dislike" option in the Reactions list but were concerned that it could be abused, could be construed as a personal attack, and was not especially productive so we made a Disagree option instead. Without getting personal or specific to any member, shunning is a common social tactic but is a very close neighbor to dogpiling, which can make for a very hostile and cliquey environment.

:nopile:

If people honestly Disagree with a post, I encourage you to use that Reaction and Reply with your reasons.
:disagree:

I submit that using the Ignore option is more effective to shun someone. If you believe a member is trolling for attention then the best option is not to feed trolls.

I would say but I was warned not to again......
This is Site Support and was largely inspired by his actions. But letting me handle this with him would be best. He can take it private with a DM if he so desires, but he doesn't seem shy.

Abusive language has and will be deleted. This is not a place to simply vent your spleen. ASD hasn't answered my questions, and I hope he makes a real attempt to do so.

Without getting personal or specific to any member, shunning is a common social tactic but is a very close neighbor to dogpiling, which can make for a very hostile and cliquey environment.

:nopile:
As an on-topic aside, dog piling has nothing to do with excrement. That emoticon is just plain wrong.

As an on-topic aside, dog piling has nothing to do with excrement.

Technically correct but it is also common to equate multiple negative responses on the Internet to crapping on someone. We didn't invent the graphic.

It would be nice is we had a graphic artist on the board willing to help us.

So the Merchant of Venice feels he has earned sufficient credit to renegotiate the Terms of Service. Like a supernova the smear campaign continues unabated. From the immortal words of Charlton Heston, ‘‘I'll give you my c-card when you pry it from my cold, dead hands’.
No one is trying to take your Certification card, or smear you. Have you considered “life coaching” in which a helpful coach assists you in considering where you might have blind spots in social interaction. I just finished a Career Coaching series, and it is surprisingly helpful in areas of my career I can improve on. I am sure it can help you in more than just SB.

No one is trying to take your Certification card, or smear you. Have you considered “life coaching” in which a helpful coach assists you in considering where you might have blind spots in social interaction. I just finished a Career Coaching series, and it is surprisingly helpful in areas of my career I can improve on. I am sure it can help you in more than just SB.
you see, that's why we need the block button. I received a copy of your post in email, containing the anti-Semitic reference.

I'd rather not (even though I'm not Jewish, and while I have projects related to the Holocaust on my radar, I just don't care to deal with offensive stereotypes regarding race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity - I'm very much a live and let live kind of guy).

EDIT: just to be clear, it was not Bubblesong who made the anti-Semitic reference, but the person to whom he was responding who is on my ignore list, but that response was still included in the email notification I received. Why I call for the block button. I don't have to see any of such peoples' comments guaranteed, not even people's responses to them. The block button just makes social media better. On FB, I block all sorts of extremists and morons with whom I have no interaction. They just clutter up discussions by normal people. I just don't have time to wade through a cesspool generated by a herd of elephants gorging themselves at Taco Bell while in my flip flops.

Interesting thought, but darkening the post is beyond the customization options in xenForo — for other readers this is the program ScubaBoard runs on.
A bot that progressively strikes through more and more of the post crap. And defends those against other edits.

I honestly think ASD is Scuba Client rebooted, from what I can tell he was perma-banned in spectacular fashion. I imagine he holds a grudge and will never be a decent contibutor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom